if this was the 2nd of december, here’s an incomplete list of everything that happened in the last 3 hours of my life:
- i accidentally killed a fly that has been trying to make a home in my hair for the better part of the last one hour.
- i also came back from a two-week vacation and spent 36 hours alternating between watching tv on planes and dozing on airport chairs. (i realize that this isn’t something that has happened specifically in the last 180 minutes, but you need context)
- my cats are overjoyed at having my undivided attention again (or like any attention because all they got for the last fourteen days was cat-snacks from the neighbours). i always assumed they were in this for the food but apparently they like me a little too. happiest day of my entire frickin life, thanks.
- i also bathed and submitted to a coding challenge 24 minutes late because i couldn’t figure out how to edit things on my phone, and i drank tea and thought about caramel popcorn and affectionately scolded my cats for growing up while i wasn’t there to see.
- it’s currently 4 am and i have become a night monster. although some people call it jet lag.
- but monster’s cooler. so we go with that.
(before we go in for real though, A COUPLE THINGS YOU MIGHT NEED TO KNOW TO UNCONFOUND YOUR BRAIN BECAUSE THE TIMELINES DON’T ADD UP IF YOU LOOK TOO CLOSE. something ridiculously close to 80% of this post was drafted on the 2nd of december, sometime in the wee hours before sunrise. and so the past-two-week-long-period it occasionally refers to and that most of these paragraphs talk about is the 15th november to 1st december weeks, and not the. you know. ACTUAL past two weeks. the december ones. december has been comparatively very unlively)
(not really though. i’ve got cats who slip 20 times because they want to be the ones to get into the house first every time i open the door. i’ve been rudely freaked by them about 2764 times in the past week alone. it doesn’t get un-lively in a life like that)
to chicago. i went to chicago and it was amazing.
- i fell in love with a science museum and saw orcas and dolphins and real live penguins and one emmitt otterton and mused over adopting baby chicks (although it never went past that because my mum kindly pointed out that my cats would be very interested in having them for dinner. so no chicks)
- i lived in fall. because that’s never an actual season at home, and i’ve never seen trees with dried brown leaves except in movies, and grounds stained with reds and yellows and greens, and so many colors everywhere. fall is beautiful. I LOVE FALL.
- i’ve never met people who smile so much. i have never waited for the bus in freezing cold before, or travelled everywhere by metro for an entire two weeks (because where i live, the station’s too far and the buses are expensive and the cars go too fast, so nobody walks) or been inside a public library that wasn’t in my city. laughed over signs decorating the bus stops. chicago was kind of fabulous like that.
i saw real snow for the first time in my entire mortal life I’M NOT FREAKING OUT YOU CALM DOWN OKAY.
- it was insane. i popsicle-d and froze off about 28463 fingers by trying to build a snowman with my bare hands and wore 24 layers of clothes everytime i went out after.
- but it was beautiful and maybe i’d one day like to live in a place where it snows in winters but i also happen to be a desert animal allergic to the cold so i’m not sure how that would work out.
- AND DID I MENTION I SAW REAL HALLOWEEN PUMPKINS AND ATE MY WEIGHT IN PRETZELS AND CRANBERRIES AND TOUCHED CHRISTMAS TREES THAT WERE TALLER THAN I AM? and to think that just a couple weeks ago i hadn’t ever seen a christmas tree that wasn’t built of plastic.
(but snow’s an insanely great excuse to drink too much hot chocolate and i drank about 29 cups during the whole of those two weeks. LIFE WAS FABULOUS)
i lived my life-long dream of wearing a winter scarf.
- DON’T LAUGH OKAY. i don’t ever get to wear them where i live because i live in a desert like we’ve already established about 37464 times before and the winters here are weak. (wearing a scarf in them would look plain hilarious)
- SO I WORE A SCARF AND GLOVES AND 1 JACKET AND 2 SWEATERS AND IT WAS STILL COLD WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. i’ve never breathed in minus temperature before (by which i mean minus in celsius. i’m not a penguin)
(we also went on a boat ride in the middle of a snowfall and the world would be lying if it didn’t tell you that everyone on that boat froze. my sister joked about how we’d better not drown that day, because the water would be so cold it’d be painful and we’d turn into ice sculptures and nobody wanted that. best day to fall into water would definitely be the middle of summer. which isn’t to say i WANT to fall, though, because that would be disastrous. i can’t swim)
i cooked boiled chicken at 11 in the night.
- and woke up all the cats within a 100 meter radius (actually i suggest you don’t take my word for this because i don’t know how to estimate and i’ve never really taken a tape out to measure the length of the streets. it was just all the cats in my compound) to feed it to them at 4 in the morning (see this happened two weeks ago because i freaked out about leaving everyone (by which i mean the cats because humans are idiots and i don’t cook for them) behind for an entire 336 hours AND i had to leave for my flight at 5 and it rained in the night so this wasn’t a voluntary first choice)
- they went wild over it. which made the mere 2.5 hours of sleep i’d managed to get that night worth it. so i decided to go wild too.
- i then got scolded by everyone in the house for making us late but we didn’t miss any planes so i’m guessing my life was a success. (even if no one ended up apologizing for the making-us-miss-planes accusations that were hurled my way. PEOPLE ARE RUDE. i prefer cats)
i waved at pet dogs.
- because the street we lived on and temporarily called our own in chicago had an abundance of them. (no seriously. you go out at any time of day and there’s always someone out on a walk with dogs on leashes. if you go out in the mornings, there’s usually five. WELCOME TO HEAVEN, BUT IT’S MINE) i want to live on a street like that one day and host dog parties where only the animals attend and it’s chaos everywhere.
- I ALSO PET A DOG AND SHE LICKED ME AND I HELD HER AND SHE WAS FLOOF OHMYGOSH.
i’ve been watching copious amounts of television.
- kind of because it snowed for three days straight and we’re desert people (not really. we just live in one. it’s very hot here) and then it rained and we stayed home and wore 20 different layers of clothes and walked around with jackets on. watching tv was the only option.
- three days before leaving for america, me and my sister obsessed alternately over the cats and over suits, which is about a bunch of lawyers and a kid who gets caught smuggling drugs but he’s a slight genuis and gets recruited to work as a lawyer by the main character instead. it’s perfect and everyone’s sassy and i love it.
- i also watched alexa and katie for the 749th time this year. i maybe have an addiction. i’m obsessed and can’t be stopped (trust me on this one. people have actually TRIED. but everyone fails)
- a mission mangal rewatch. because i am also addicted.
- and emily in paris (i have no idea what i think about this except that the food made me hungry). i watched the entire first season in a day WHICH IS INSANE because i don’t DO things like that. (the fastest i’ve ever watched a tv series before this was probably the little women kdrama remake, which i spent an entire week on. which is to say: i’m SLOW)
- the day it rained, i watched a beautiful mind with my mum in the morning. it was sad and beautiful and i’m sworn off of watching sad movies (but i’m exceedingly drawn to them anyway SOMEONE DO SOMETHING) after i was hungover on twenty-five twenty-one for 28 days after finishing it. i didn’t know this was going to be sad though so it isn’t entirely my fault. I PLEAD INNOCENCE.
- in the night, we all hijacked the two couches and every single blanket in the house, and watched leo over a dinner of pretzels. i’m smol and disney movies about talking animals make me ridiculously happy.
- a movie i forgot the name of but watched on the plane. it was about three black women in nasa AND PRETTY PHENOMENAL i loved it ok.
- and hindi movies. lots of hindi movies.
i read stuff while i was there
- i lived in a smol cottage and there were books on the shelves and i vowed to read them all, but then i kind of didn’t.
- ok so maybe that’s a lie. i,,, just,,, didn’t. i started an agatha christie and the journey to the center of the earth and i got through about 30 pages of both and then i ditched.
- i re-read ciara smyth’s not my problem for the second time in 30 days and i finally finally got to the falling in love montage (exactly 2 years after stuffing it onto a tbr list, BUT SHUT UP OK. i make the rules here and treason gets you a death sentence) so it’s not a COMPLETE tragedy. i also read lori gottlieb’s maybe you should talk to someone on metro rides and in the mornings and late at night. because it was fabulous and i couldn’t be stopped. (that book’s perfection and i LOVED it. thank you, sumedha, for being responsible for 20% of all the five stars i’ve given this year) (because goodreads is cruel and says i’ve only five-starred 5)
- i got caught reading under the blankets (maybe they should miniaturize books because i need a better strategy) and ate too many pretzels and got crumbs everywhere. i read neil degrasse tyson’s astrophysics for young people in a hurry for the first time and have since read it thrice.
i watched as all my reading plans crashed and burnt
- see i spent about 80% of the total trip-planning time creating myself a grand-looking tbr and i was supposed to read through both plane rides and ace my reading goal and get to 100 and build up a 2-year streak and be generally amazing and ridiculous and a massive success, but then i only read two books on the way there and none on the way back and i watched iron man for the second time instead.
- I REGRET NOTHING.
- (except like the fact that i slapped my last chance to make goodreads proud in the face and blew it forever. BUT IT WAS FUN AND I ATE SO MUCH FOOD AND PLANES ARE AMAZING so we’re telling ourselves it’s fine)
- (IT’S FINE)
i missed my cats
- i have amazing neighbors though, and they fed them ALL and none of my cats ran away while i was gone although they did kind of freak out when we returned in that they refused to leave the house or stop brushing against people’s legs while meowing profusely. everyone’s guess is that they were afraid we were going to leave them alone again, which is so sweet because it means they like us. IT’S ALWAYS SO INSANE WHEN THE CATS ACT LIKE THEY LIKE US BECAUSE OHMYGOSH!!! CATS LIKE US!!! THEY COME HERE TO MEET US AND GET PET AND NOT MERELY FOR THE FOOD AND THEY WAIT FOR US TO RETURN WHEN WE’RE AWAY FOR TOO LONG. i love cats. they’re so perfect and amazing and beautiful and sweet.
- so everyone’s clingy like that and i’m not the only one anymore, which is nice. they run so fast they slip everyday because they want to get into the house and never leave and winnie’s taken up permanent residence in our backyard and biscotti runs amock in the house twice every 24 hours and has to be chased after for at least a half hour until he finally decides he’s had enough fun and will be going back out now. biscotti’s so naughty and he purrs whenever i speak to him or pet him on the head which is so SWEET okay. char’s scared of everything and he likes to rub against the outside broom until it falls and he runs into the bushes every time a car goes by and sticks to people’s legs every time someone goes out or he decides to come in. MY SMOL LITTLE SWEET KIDS.
we’re still debating over whether this qualifies as an excuse-for-failing-nablowrimo post or a HI-I-WENT-ON-VACATION-HERE’S-ALL-THE-DETAILS one, but i failed so bad this year. i wrote a total of 2000 words, WHICH IS TERRIBLE AND PLAIN HUMILIATING AND MOST OF IT ISN’T EVEN POSTED WHICH IS TECHNICALLY AGAINST THE RULES I SET. we’re never talking of this again THANKS BYE.
most exciting part of the last half of 2023?? plans for christmas?? WHEN DID YOUR WINTER BREAK START? when does it end? have you ever been to chicago or museums or lived through fall or met penguins or adopted a fish? what’s the best place you ever visited? the WORST? your favorite christmas books? MOVIES? HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED ALEXA AND KATIE? gimme details and tell me about your christmas. because i don’t celebrate and therefore MUST KNOW.
merry christmas, universe!!