Let me tell you a soul – crushing secret.
The year has flown past and you haven’t even yet noticed. Only a month left, and then 2022 will be upon you, quietly watching as you throw yourself unwillingly into it, mourning the loss of the past year. (and, obviously, all these rules do not apply to me, because I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLIVE POPULATION, and time works differently like that)
But how does time run away so fast, I don’t get it. Long legs maybe?? Or TIME MACHINES?? Nevermind, since we’re never really going to arrive at a logical answer (its another one of the universe’s very well-guarded secrets. not something we should even try to make sense of) let’s talk about something else, and by something else I mean the YEAR END. aka the worst time of the year for bookworms like me and you. Why, you ask? Well, I come prepared to answer you with a very detailed list of reasons:
- We start thinking of all the books we could have read, but didn’t. Just a warning, but THERE MIGHT BE SOME SCREAMING INVOLVED
- We think of all the amazing books we read this year and then wish we could go back to that time just to experience the magic again *melts into puddle*
- We start freaking out about the huge piles of unwritten reviews and then die because AGHHH TOO MANY
- We finally remember about that terrifying GOODREADS READING CHALLENGE we were supossed to be participating in, and there are BUCKETFULLS of tears involved
- Some little olives among us attempt to conquer their 625348219236737 book-long TBR and it does not end well so DO NOT do something so dumb, okay?
- There’s that pile of unread 2021 releases that is now already one year stale and making frequent visits to haunt us in our dreams
- Remember that ginormous stack of EXPIRED library books way back from June, that you (I see you! Green alien!) forgot to return and are going to be the reason that little alien over there is going broke because fee for late submission (oops)
- And then no christmas presents (as in bucketloads of BOOKS) for said alien *sobs*
- Which leads to little green alien’s tragic villain origin story
- And how aforementioned alien began taking over the universe and destroying every single bookworm to have ever lived and stealing their precious books because REVENGE
A short list. But point is, IT IS NOT NICE. So what do we do? HA, the answer is simple! We create an obnoxiously long list of goals to achieve in this last month so we can feel great about ourselves and not wait for someone to find us in the form of a soppy mess under the christmas tree on christmas morning, bawling our eyes out because Santa forgot to bring us presents. And that list of goals, in this case, comes in the form of an obnoxiously long TBR from yours truly.
Unsurprisingly, I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list of books that I really want to read by the end of this year, and that is the reason I am going to put together a short I swear it is short, okay? list of books that I am definitely going to “try” finishing by the end of the year. AND what I expect from them (spoiler: high stuff). Most of these books are practically BURIED in the HYPE, very famous books, that i haven’t read yet, AND I do not know what I’ve been doing with my life. But what I do know is that if I don’t read these soon, I shall start getting threatening letters in the mail that will attempt at murdering me, unless I read the BOOKS. And i love life far too much, and do not wish to be murdered at the hands of fellow offended bookworms, so I SHALL BE A DUMB OLIVE AND ATTEMPT TO CONQUER MY VERY LONG TBR. Thank you.
All the photos have been taken and edited by yours truly, and have arrows protruding out of them, listing the various reasons I want to read these amazing-looking books. All photos also link to the respective book’s goodreads synopsis.
- HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN OVER HERE? ROYALLY OCCUPYING THE TOPMOST POSITION ON MY 84637393 book long TBR??? AND NOT EVEN FEELING GUILTY ABOUT IT???
- Truth is, I BECOME A SCARED LITTLE SMOL OLIVE – EATING HUMAN RUNNING INSIDE THE WARDROBE SCREAMING PEOPLE’S EARS INTO DEAFNESS whenever I think about this book. It’s torturing me at this point.
- Why? Because of these things called ~eXpEctAtIOns~ which are so INSANELY! CRAZILY! MADDENINGLY! high and exceed the heights of the milky way, that there is NO WAY this book is going to live up to them! And I do not want to NOT like it. I’m just scared.
- But I HAVE to read it because its THE MOST FAMOUS YA FANTASY EVER and I do NOT agree on giving up my position as queen of fantasy readers. And I might be obsessed with Kaz Brekker, though I know nothing?? So, see? I NEED TO KNOW.
- My hard copies also just arrived and THE EXCITEMENT!! And they might be the best books I own, so. We’re doing this. Wish me luck, fellow olives! I really want to fall head over heals in love with it like everyone else.
- Okay, see, literally everything about this book seems to be screaming out my name. Arabian inspired fantasy world?? Enemies-to-lovers?? The cover? The name? I have no reason to NOT read it. Then why haven’t I yet? Good question. There’s two reasons: 1) I’m scared it won’t live up 2) I’ve been in some kind of weird Fantasy slump?? But I’m now successfully out and continuing to run over and become the voracious fantasy reader I have the reputation of being and DEVOUR THIS
- I’ve also been told that it has beautiful, amazing, gorgeous writing and I am TRASH for anything that has even the mentions of “pretty prose”.
- And morally grey characters just SEALS THE DEAL.
- Two of my favorite bloggers (Cherry and Rachel) have also been screaming about it, and I NEED IT, okay?
- Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales for pretty obvious reasons. 1) Belle loves to read and is a BOOKWORM and 2) I want to adopt the beast. So I’m hoping to a find a very relatable protagonist who LOVES BOOKS, and also a beast to further lenghten my TO-ADOPT list, and I look forward to placing him right beside Lazlo Strange with his broken nose, and become a very happy olive whle simultaneously reclaiming my title as QUEEN.
- And see that cover?? It looks so… wild and fierce and AMAZING and like something i will LOVE forever and there’s also mentions of curses??? And curses are universally acknowledged GOLD (except when you’re the victim of one, that is NOT NICE) MWUHAHAHAHAH
- I want to read Defy the Night so bad (I am trash for court politics and based on all i’ve heard, defy the night has it???!!) but i want to start with the author’s series according to publishing order, because I am very organized like that. (Anoushka’s spirit: she liesssss. Anoushka: shhh! Stop giving away my secrets like that, evil spirit who i do not know [whispers] I THOUGHT I HAD MURDERED THAT SPIRIT OF MINE???)
- Okay, this is Marie Lu we’re talking about here, writer extraordinaire of masterpieces such as LEGEND, and this is DARK FANTASY she has written, and AGGGHHH, THE COVER, that sword replacing the T, the CLOUDS, the entire atmosphere is just-
- I’ve heard the writing is delicious and so I desperately need, okay?
- THERE’S MAPS AND MAPS ARE LIFE AND I MISS THEM
- Just… stop thinking about EVERYTHING, and LOOK at that cover. It is gorgeousness at another level, and I am so grateful it exists, and you should be too.
- I’ve read amazing reviews about this, and its been on my TBR since over an year, and its time to finally pick it up and devour in a gulp.
- It also features friendship, and I LOVE READING ABOUT FRIENDSHIPS TOO MUCH.
- Okay, see I have been converted into #1 Ciara Smyth fan after reading Not My Problem and I am ready to read anything, literally anything, written by her, including papaya-flavored cornflakes commercials, and I shall do so VERY happily.
- Needless to say, my expectations, again, are high, which is very unusual for a contemporary book, because I usually go into them without even bothering to read the synopsis, so any form of expectations whatsoever are practically non-existant. But this one? Ahahaha- I am ashamed to admit the number of times I’ve pored over the synopsis, my mouth WATERING.
- Agggh, I really wish this book delivers some more of the solid, laugh-out-loud humor that was available in ABUNDANCE in Not my Problem, because if not, THEN I WILL NEVER TRUST AUTHORS AGAIN, because I will be disappointed FOR LIFE. Good bye.
- Ahem. A YA Fantasy Romeo and Juliet Retelling?? That is also dark?? And also features DAGGERS??? And enemies-to-lovers (i am trash for it, and so are you)??? Set in Shanghai?? I MEAN, THERE’S TOO MANY REASONS WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT TO READ THIS, okay.
- And the cover is this complex being that seems to hold so much in it and I am in awe over it, and desperately want to understand it. I also feel like at this point I’m the only person who hasn’t read it yet, and that is humiliating.
- All the quotes I’ve read are DELICIOUS and apparently the writing’s supossed to be gorgeous??? I AM EXCITED.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ANOUSHKA’S SPIRIT TAKES OVER – EPISODE #2
Anoushka’s spirit: I might be temporarily taking over because my mistress has suddenly disappeared, and yes, I have successfully returned from the dead, with amazing powers and all. Ooh, and also, um, its supposed to be secret, but I am kind, so I shall say. I have returned with a plan to take over the blog and rule as QUEEN forever. What’s the plan, you ask?? Well, it involves a person who goes by the name of V.E. Schwab. And it also involves Anoushka, obviously, since she needs to be DEFEATED. So, see, Anoushka has never read a Schwab book in her life (which is embarassing and also just plain rude), and no one’s supposed to know. SO NOMINATE ME RULER AND WE SHALL LIVE IN PEACE, WHILE ANOUSHKA CRIES OVER HOW SHE NEVER BECAME A SCHWABIAN AND ALSO LOST HER BLOG BECAUSE OF IT. Thank you.
- Percy Jackson is the God of humor, and you can never convince me otherwise. He is sassy, sarcastic, and just generally AMAZING, and also proud owner of Riptide (which I shall soon come up with a genius plan to steal) and I LOVE HIM TOO MUCH
- There’s this someone called Leo Valdez and everyone keeps screaming about him?? I NEED TO KNOW TOO.
- I’ve never talked about this before (what can i say? i’m just… modest) but i successfully THREATENED my sister into reading PJO and then she ran ahead of me and also started HOO but she said it wasn’t as good, so kind of scared too??
- I know. Some of you might actually be seriously considering coming at me with daggers at this point, but REMEMBER THIS – Murder lands you in jail, and there’s no libraries there, and you desperately need books because you live off them, so DO NOT take out that dagger from under your foot. Be kind and let it rest.
- The main reason I want to read this is because – the ending (and also because i desperately love life, obviously) What can I say? I love crying over books, and this one is a guaranteed tear jerker, and I need no more reason.
- I also need to find out what the hype’s all about too. Because #curiosity
And thus we reach the end of my unattainably huge TBR. This post was kind of all over the place, and OVERLY LONG, and very messy, because I have apparently lost the ability to write decent posts? I am sorry. Also, I might be kind of late in replying to comments and such because SCHOOL is torture, and I am also working on redesigning my blog, and planning on writing more posts this month (i seriously post 2 times a month, what is wrong with me??) and i am sorry, but I swear I shall get to them as soon as I can. Okay, now I’m going to go read, bye.
Have you read any of these books?? What are some books that have been on your TBR since literally FOREVER and you still haven’t got to?? What are some of the MOST HYPED books you haven’t read yet?? Books/series you DESPERATELY NEED to get to by the end of the year??