look. the volcra* devoured me okay??
they’re actually incredibly loyal beings who always kidnap me whenever i need them to. or maybe they’re just good liars and i feed them all the strawberries sometimes so they keep secrets for me. BUT THEY’RE GOOD PEOPLE OKAY?? i love them. only second to dragons obviously. AND ALSO OLIVES AND MY SIX OF CROWS. six of crows rules.
but look. i’m back!!!!!!! aren’t you THE HAPPIEST??
yes. yes you are.
but maybe you’re also squinting your eyes at the screen (WEAR YOUR GLASSES DANGIT) and wondering HOW MANY TIMES I RETURN.
not a lot, honestly. most people return more often than i because i lack punctuality and proper schedules and sticking to them. i’m a busy olive like that.
but i like to think you scream a little every time i return. WHETHER THE SCREAMS ARE DIRECTED AT ‘I’M BACK’ BEING THE MOST OFTEN-USED PHRASE ON THIS BLOG OR BECAUSE YOU’RE JUST GENUINELY EXCITED FOR ALL THE FREE OLIVES, we ignore that. it’s the best possible answer to the imagined scenario AND ALSO JUST WHAT WE GENERALLY DO**
but this is one of the few times when ignoring the universe isn’t our staple and we catch up ON ALL THE THINGS. aka the olive’s life. aka the greatest being of the universe and ruler of all. aka your majesty and supreme ruler of the 972 planets (I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS)
* VOLCRAS?? VOLCRAE?? SOMEONE HELP ME WITH PLURALS HERE MY KEYBOARD IS FLAILING AND GRAMMAR WON’T COOPERATE
** WE’RE ACTUALLY REALLY BIG ON IGNORING ALL THE THINGS AROUND HERE. IF YOU’RE NEW OR JUST HAVEN’T NOTICED YET (IN WHICH CASE: YOU LACK BRAINS, GREEN ALIEN OF THE WORLD) IT’S A FOOLPROOF WAY OF DEVOURING THE UNIVERSE
welcome to the inner glimpses of the olivish life AND ALL THE FABULOUSNESS THAT COMES WITH IT. (which is a lie actually. my life is chaos and lateness and failing at words and life and ruling the universe. we don’t generally talk about it FOR OBVIOUS REASONS) (aforementioned reasons MUST NOT BE QUESTIONED) but today is a rare occassion and also I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO EVEN BEGIN WITH BLOGGING AGAIN. so instead of sobbing into my notebooks (we mustn’t waste trees) I TELL YOU REASONS AND MAKE OFFICIAL RETURNS WITH SOME SMOL NAIVE EXCUSES AND ALSO EXCITING THINGS. like announcements. ANNONCEMENTS ARE ALWAYS EXCITING.
which basically translates to “hungry as in desperate for olivish treats such as olives and proper pizzas like ones that have olively overloads on themselves.” like such:
hu(ngry) + olive + (hu)ngry = huolivengry
i’m kind of a genius like that.
(WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘NO’?? I’M THE RULER HERE AND I DON’T TAKE OBJECTIONS SO SHUT UP, ALIEN. I AM QUEEN)
maybe the phenomenally HUGE (and also slightly betraying) lack of olives can be attributed to the fact that i’m currently on the run against charges of attempted library theft (better known as ‘in india and still travelling’ BUT WHO’S CHECKING) and shall be until december (online classes are nice like that) so maybe i’m also 4 hours across the ocean from my mom and dad and sister and living with my grandmom and my aunt’s dog. IT’S A NICE LIFE.
especially since INDIA KNOWS HOW TO COOK AND I KNOW HOW TO EAT SO WE MAKE THE PERFECT PAIR LIKE THAT. it’s weird how pumpkin tastes good here (#CONFUSION). also EVERYTHING IS SPICY AND I LOVE SPICY. my life is currently perfect. (except for occassionally missing home and the solitude of it all (IT’S RIDICULOUSLY LOUD EVERYWHERE IN INDIA LIKE THAT) and dissecting tv shows with my sister and THE LIBRARY. THE LIBRARY IS ACTUALLY THE HIGHLIGHT OVER HERE)
but the dog definitely HELPS MATTERS. i love him so much AND WISH TO FOREVER ADOPT HIM AND READ TO HIM AND VISIT LIBRARIES AND WATERFALLS TOGETHER. although i’m pretty sure he’s low-key tired of me WAKING HIM FROM AFTERNOON NAPS, but i can’t sleep so i need someone awake too. the dog is an unfortunate victim like that. I LOVE HIM.
we DO stand with the previous declaration of india being generally phenomenal (WHILE ALSO BEING DRAINING AND RIDICULOUSLY BUSY AND SLIGHTLY EXHAUSTING SOMETIMES. i blame it for all the blog-ignoring happening around here. ALTHOUGH MAYBE THAT’S ON ME. BUT IGNORE THAT OK?? we blame THE WOOOOORLD. it’s fun), but i also haven’t eaten olives since mid-july so the desperation is well-explained OKAY. despite india. and my newly-adopted dog (ADOPTION STILL IN PROCESS, BUT SHHH. one day, my olives. ONE DAY) so i need. SOMEONE GIVE ME?????? PLEASE???? OLIVES???????
- i am officially tired and do not get the purpose of reading if every single book i ever inhale is destined to be cruel degrees of torturous evil whose true place lies in the deep, dark waters of the black sea. my life is slightly sad like that. india cursed my books and i haven’t read phenomenal stuff since july. HOW DARE YOU.
but recounting my sad, sad journey of immortal evils, A LIST:
1. i read the (supposedly) phenomenal 2022 debut ‘only a monster’ and hated THE WORLD. and also the characters and worldbuilding and writing. PLUS JOAN WAS RIDICULOUSLY ANNOYING AND I DREAMT SWEET DREAMS OF BREAKING HER TEETH. it kind of just generally sucked like that. YOU GET THE POINT AND MY DREAMS. (apparently people lie sometimes)
2. i was also on a mystery streak before that and thought inhaling them was fun. but then ‘the woman in the library’ ruined that and i’m mad. ALSO CONFUSED BECAUSE THE WORDS (specifically the ones that make up the ending) DON’T REALLY MAKE SENSE. gorgeous covers lie too, apparently. they’re just like people in that way.
3. maybe ‘call it what you want’ was slight fabulousness if compared, and i really really liked the middle. but the beginning and the end SUCKED REALLY HARD, so am #CONFUSION like that. BUT THE MIDDLE WAS GOOD.
- also deciding which books to buy and trying to figure out what to read first IS TORTURE??? no one ever warned me of this okay ITS EVIL OF THE WORLD. i maybe have a current collection of 93764645 (i’ve been planning all my broke futures recently. BECAUSE BOOOOOKS) and sometimes SPEND DAYS STARING AT THEM. and also silently sniffing the pages. i let the dog sniff too. except he wasn’t as impressed (#BETRAYAL) but look. people aren’t meant to DECISION. decisions are otherworldly things of immense evilness AND WE CAN’T MAKE THEM FOR FEAR OF MELTING DUE TO FREQUENT CONFUSION OVERLOADS. the world doesn’t yet accept this, unfortunately. THE BOOKS SHALL END ME. except i also want TO DEVOUR THEM ALL, so maybe i’ll someday succeed. maybe i’ll even succeed before they do. #DREAMS.
- i’m actually also sobbing over how my eyes don’t allow me to sob because they’re destined to a life of forever dryness. in other words, my eyes protest to all the ebook reading i’ve been doing so i’m kind of banned from them. although i break the ban sometimes. but SHHHH DON’T TELL. hence i must finish all my physical copies and abandon my ipad (THE NERVE). and am also saving money for all the books. (#FUN)
- EMBER IN THE ASHES KIND OF SAVED MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE THOUGH. i’ve finally stumbled upon fantasy THAT DOESN’T MAKE ME WANT TO BREAK THE WALL INTO PIECES and i’m feeling slightly ON TOP OF THE WORLD like that!!! and i need more fantasy. GOOD FANTASY. also am slightly obsessed with magical military schools, THEY’RE SERIOUSLY UNDERRATED??? we need more books featuring them. AND MAGIC AND MADNESS AND SPYWORK.
- also am writing ALL THE THINGS and i LOVE THEM ALL. it’s a problem. but a smol one. (OR MAYBE NOT. but shhh LET’S PRETEND) except i have officially NO IDEA what to work on so i kind of just rotate and do nothing. (DEFINITELY PROBLEM). but also. THE LIST:
i’m currently (aka THE EXACT TIME OF WRITING THIS) working on the skeletal swing outline AND RANDOM SCENES. it’s about a smol ghost named beck (although only probably temporarily. I’M STILL WORKING ON NAMES) who owns a swing and it’s kind of his life like that. also the swing is magical in ways and shows him the life of every person who’s ever played on it. WHICH ENABLES HIM TO GET A JOB AS A FULL-TIME-AND-ACCURATE-TO-THE-FINAL-DOT FORTUNE TELLER. but he’s a ghost. and the fact proves difficult in all the imagined job hunting. IT’S A PROBLEM.
- geometry tortures my life. and i’m tired. there’s this one scene in anne of green gables where anne complains about TORTUROUS STUFF (commonly known as geometry) AND I ACTUALLY SYMPATHIZE SO MUCH??? but it might prove useful in swordly measurements one day, so i won’t complain too much.
- there was also midterms (they were decent. we don’t talk about it) AND A WHOLE LOT OF FREAKING OUT and attempts at ignoring life. but no one let me. which i’m still mad about. science sucked. SCIENCE ALWAYS SUCKS, ACTUALLY. although the math paper WAS PRETTY FABULOUS AND I’M HAPPY LIKE THAT. math is kind to me. i am kind to math.
- there’s also confusion because i have SO. MANY. ideas. and don’t know what to do with them. it’s unfair how my thoughts don’t normally get transcribed on paper I COULD HAVE WRITTEN FIVE POSTS PER DAY LIKE THAT. it’s all a mess actually. i’ve got ideas scribbled in biology notebooks and on a google docs and also in the notebook page that’s ACTUALLY FOR THE BLOG PLANNING THING and flying notepads and on math test sheets. WHO DID THIS.
- it’s officially been a WHOLE ENTIRE YEAR (!!!!!!!)(WHAT)(!!!!!!!)(I MUST FREAK)(!!!!!!!) since i’ve been blogging AND I AM A PUDDLE ON THE FLOOR FROM ALL THE #EMOTIONS. (emotions are officially BAD) except it doesn’t really feel that long. but its ok, sometimes i still think we’re in 2017, so this is normal. (ALSO. POST INCOMING excuse the delays)
- PLUS I MADE A NEW SCHEDULE. now look. i know how i have a reputation of being HORRENDOUS AT SCHEDULES. and you know that too. BETRAYING THEM IS FUN SOMETIMES. AND I’M ALL FOR FUN. so it’s kind of an obvious decision that way. BUT TODAY WE SHALL BECOME RESPONSIBLE (magic!!!) AND CREATE ANOTHER ONE. and also try following it from time to time. WHICH, THEY SAY IS DIFFICULT. but i like betraying them SO HERE’S THE SCHEDULE:
–> monday = book reviews + movie reviews (RARE OCCURENCES)
–> thursday = book recommendations + bookish posts + discussions + tips + lists + ALL OF THE ABOVE COMBINED IN ONE (or something like that)
–> saturday = pretty deadly words + monthly wrap-ups (or just wrap up OF ALL SORTS) + life updates + bookish tags + FUN STUFF
- also remember that announcement you were supposed to hear ONCE UPON A TIME?? apparently that time is now SO LISTEN: i’ve been juggling the idea in a water can for about a week now and then transferred it onto paper, wherein it hatched into a larva. the idea goes along the lines of such: starting a newsletter wholly for MY OWN ENTERTAINMENT. but also daily versions. although they shall be short (maxiumum size shall be 1000 words AND I KNOW HOW THAT WOULDN’T EXACTLY COME UNDER THE ‘SHORT’ DEFINITION but my posts are usually always 3000+ words long SO THIS IS AN IMPROVEMENT. sometimes i get the idea that i talk too much) and not quality focused. IT SHALL BE MORE INFORMAL AND FUN AND NOT-WORRIED-ABOUT-ALL-THE-SMOL-DETAILS-AND-WHAT-WILL-HAPPEN-AT-THE-END-OF-THE-WORLD thing. although the content shall still be ALL THINGS BOOKISH with a drizzle of LIFE and tv and music and winds and car rides and how i wish to travel the world some day. but the main point here is FUN.
am currently thinking of starting on the first of october and here’s the sign-up link. AND ALSO CHOCOLATE.
- but in other, more fabulous news, i’m currently SO EXCITED TO WRITE and maybe have started 873538 new books in the last week. i also have 9272 post drafts that are all half done BUT ATLEAST I HAVE ALL THE HALF-CREATED CONTENT FOR THE NEXT MONTH??? SO, GOOD?? yes. yes, that’s good WHY DO YOU LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT
thank you for viewing the olive’s life (HOW DARE YOU) here’s all the cake as THANK YOU’s, but also. BYE-BYE NOW, TAKE YOUR LEAVE I MUST GET RID OF YOU AND BE OFF TO TRAIN MY DRAGONS. they’re fabulous beasts, actually. they breathe fire and destroy the rice crops. I LOVE THEM.
WHAT HAS YOUR LIFE BEEN UP TO RECENTLY??? any betrayals or OLIVISH TALES???? because i must hear them!!!! what are your thoughts on cakes and newsletters and olives??? ALSO: DOGS OR CATS???? CAKES OR ICECREAM????? opinions on geometry and BURNING DOWN THE WORLD???? and then living off of the ashes and taking over libraries??? I NEED THOUGHTS, PEOPLE!!! (and also olives)
20 thoughts on “what goes on with the olive’s life (and all the details you need to know about unfortunate disappearances and world conquering || a #amcurrently update wherein i am excited and tired and also IN DESPERATE NEED OF OLIVES AND SLEEP. also HIIII I’M BACK AND BRING CAKE BECAUSE YOU MISSED ME (YOU DID)”
EEEEE I ALWAYS GET SO INSANELY EXCITED WHEN YOUR POSTS COME UP AND THEY ALWAYS MUST BE CLICKED ON IMMEDIATELY AND ALSO thanks for the cake and the life update and just generally THE POST.
okay first of all CONGRATS ON AN ENTIRE YEAR OF BLOGGING that’s an incredible accomplishment!!!
also I SIGNED UP FOR YOUR NEWSLETTER i’m so excited like i’m actually dying of excitement omggg!!!
and uh can i please read every single one of those book pitches/ideas??? please??? especially that waffle heist cuz ya KNOW i love waffles
and an ember in the ashes is so so so good, just top tier YA fantasy💜💜
Oh, congrats on one year of blogging!!! That’s so huge!! 🥳🥳
An Ember in the Ashes is literally one of the only fantasy novels I like…it’s a pretty amazing series!!
And, geometry has been torturing me too, lately.
I loved reading this post!! 😃
Geometry is also useful for teaching logical thinking and deductive reasoning, which has implications in fields far beyond mathematics.
Congrats on one year of blogging, Anoushka!! 🎉🎈🎉 And I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying India so much! Like, seriously, the food!!! 😍🤩😍 What we have here simply cannot compete! Europeans have yet to understand the concept of spices 🙄🙈
Also, I feel like I should add Volcri to your pool as a viable plural option for Volcra – after all, Shadow and Bone is Russian inspired! And that would be a regular Russian plural form 😇 I kind of feel like the plural might’ve just been Volcra, though. Judging by Alina’s last name, Leigh Bardugo didn’t take the Russian inspiration too seriously 🤔😂
You and Anne are entirely wrong about geometry, though – it is one of the best subjects ever!!! 🥰 📐
CONGRATSSS ON AN YEARRRRRRR!!!!!
Okay, I really need to get ti Leigh Bardugo now **sheepish smile**
And geometry is the only part of math i likee. Algebra ans calculus are😵😵
HAH THE VOLCRA DEVOURED YOU- 😂
Oh and here’s cake 🎂🍰🎂🎂🎂🍰🎂🍰🍰🎂🍰🎂🍰
And here’s the DELICIOUS olives 🫒🫒🫒🫒🫒🫒🫒
I truly admire your schedule. I could never. I am chaos personified and will post when Mercury isn’t in retrograde.
Yay, a post!! 🎊🎊 I love it!! And, you know what I love more? That you have had a year of blogging!! Congrats!!!! It has been a great year for all your readers!! 🥰🥰
It sounds like you are having a fab time in India~~ “INDIA KNOWS HOW TO COOK AND I KNOW HOW TO EAT SO WE MAKE THE PERFECT PAIR LIKE THAT”~~ the food sounds amazing and I can always rely on your posts to make me laugh!!
sorry to hear about the lack of great books, such a shame about only a monster, it sounded so good! But, yesss, ember is ah-mazing!!
all your writing and newsletter (!!) sounds incredible!! 😍 sign me up!
Your posts are always so super entertaining!! LOVE THEM! And YAY for finally getting to enjoy the greatness that is An Ember in the Ashes!!
LOVE this post!!!
AHHHHHHHH one year blogging!?!?!?!! CONGRATS!!!!
Also good luck with the schedule!
I’m sorry about all the not so great reads so far, but hey at least there was An EMber in the Ashes! I’ve heard great things about that series!!!
I can COMPLETEY relate to just staring at all the books and not being able to decide because…DECISIONS??? No thank you!!!
ANOUSHKA I’M SCREAMING BECAUSE AHHH YOU POSTED!!!! AND I’M ABSOLUTELY OBSESSED WITH THIS AS ALWAYS 😎
NO HOW COULD THE VOLCRA( VOLCRAE??) DEVOUR YOU ARE YOU SURE THEY’RE GOOD HMMMMM
Six of crows SUPREMACY nothing can top it
I’M JOINING YOU IN THE LIBRARY THEFT I HAVE OVERDUE BOOKS WHICH ARE ANXIOUSLY GLARING AT ME AND I’M TOO LAZY TO GO TO THE LIBRARY AND DROP THEM OFF
AND OMGGG INDIA!!!!! THE FOOD IS IMMACULATE THERE INDEED (HOW DO THE VEGGIES TASTE SO GOOD?) I’m scared of dogs akhssk BUT I NEED PHOTOS OF THIS DOG I MAY CHANGE MY MIND 😭
HOW DARE THE BOOKS BE TERRIBLE AND LET YOU DOWN LIKE THAT WE HAVE TO FIGHT WITH SOMEONE FOR THIS BUT EMBER IN THE ASHES?!?!?!?!?! I’M SCREAMING YOU READ MY FAVE BOOK ILY EVEN MORE AND I DID NOT KNOW THAT WAS POSSIBLE, SO GLAD YOU LOVED IT!!!!
YOUR WRITING IDEAS ARE SO COOL PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OH WISE ONE
Noooo NOT THE GEOMETRY SLAND C’MON IT’S EASILY ONE OF THE BEST BRANCHES OF MATH, and yayyy I KNEW YOU WOULD SLAY IN YOUR MIDTERMS I’M SO GLAD THEY WENT WELL!!!
HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY AHHHHHH IT’S BEEN A YEAR?!?!?!? THAT IS SO INSANE!!!! AND OMG I’M SO SO EXCITED FOR THE NEWSLETTER, SIGNING UP NOW
LOVE THIS SO MUCH AND DON’T LEAVE US HANGING AGAIN PLS <3 <3
Ooh congratulations on one year of blogging, that’s fantastic!! And sorry for disappearing for so long. My tbr is entirely out of control so I’m hoping to get it down a bit before I start blogging again although I have already mostly sorted my most anticipated books of 2023 post out. Tbh I have no clue how ill ever catch up post wise though as atm my drafts are around 200 🙈🙈
Anyway don’t feel bad for disappearing. At least you return a lot more frequently than me.
I hope you’re having a lovely time in India, I didn’t realise you were going for so long. Hope you’re giving the dog lots of cuddles to make up for disturbing their sleep too 😴
Sorry to hear about your reading. It’s awful when a couple of bad books make you start doubting whether it’s worth picking more up. Sorry to hear that Only A Monster was a letdown too. I’ll have to see how I find it whenever I finally read it.
Ooh if you like thrillers Samantha Downings tend to be highly addictive. I still need to read her debut (ironically the only one I own albeit as an ebook) but I adored her other two books.
And I still need to read Ember 🙈 definitely one of the series I MUST read before the end of the year.
Aww yay I’m glad you’re writing. Your ideas sound intriguing too, definitely a lot that you have on the go atm!! I hope you keep getting inspired. I always put off starting because planning is just too daunting 🙈
Good luck sticking to your schedule too.
I hope your well & that your next reads live up to your expectations
I love reading your posts and congratulations on blogging for a whole it’s a great achievement and I can’t wait to see what your second year has in store.
I totally relate to “I’m back” being one the the main things I say on my blog as well. I always come up with elaborate schedules and then never stick to them 🤣🤣🤣
I adore your energy! It’s contagious. And congrats to a full year of blogging!
Food in India is great for sure!
Congratulations on completing a year of blogging!
i just want to say that i 100% agree with your statement about indians knowing how to cook. my old coworkers always made the most amazing food. (i wish we kept in touch – i’d love to know their culinary secrets).
buying books and reading them are two very different hobbies. i succeed at one and fail at the other lol.
wAIT did you just read an ember in the ashes for the first time????? that series is AMAZING, but people don’t talk about it enough 🙁
i need to make a schedule too. i almost solely post reviews, and they’re my least viewed posts. but they’re so easy to do – i don’t run out of ideas. i just need to keep reading.
also, please eat my olives for me.
firstly, hi hi welcome to india!!!!! so glad to have you here and i’d say we should meet but you seem to have a very busy schedule and who even knows if you’re in my city?
secondly, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST BLOGVERSARY!!! here’s to more years as the olive queen!
third, a newsletter?? so exciting i signed up, i think i missed the first newsletter which im sad about (unless.. you could forward it to me pls?) but i’m waiting for the next one!
Happy blogiversary!!!!!!!! Also all your book ideas sound awesome?!?!?!?!?!