if we started a conversation about the kind of month september ended up being, i’d possibly run away into the far, far corners of the haunted woods and never return.
haunted woods are ridiculously fascinating. THERE’S SO MANY SECRETS AND DARKNESS AND FUN. there’s also the slight possibility that you might someday stumble upon hidden underground libraries AND LIVE THERE FOR AN ETERNITY (immortal rooms that let you borrow some of their magic are pretty amazing like that) and return back to overground humanity when the initial question-asker who led TO YOUR UNEARTHLY AMAZING FATE is no more and the names of the months have changed and then you could use all of the fantasy you’ve devoured TO TAKE OVER UNIVERSES AND DECLARE YOUR RULE AS QUEEN, BURNING DOWN OF ALL THE VILLAGES THAT DEEM IT ACCEPTABLE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.
or you could also be less prone to fits of violence and NEVER RUN INTO WOODS IN THE FIRST PLACE. or use your fantasy knowledge to write THE MOST FABULOUS BOOK OF EVER. but, you know. WORLD CONQUERING IS THE MUTUALLY-AGREED UPON FUN OPTION.
it’d be disrespectful to choose any other.
welcome to books and the month i read too few of them!! I WAS BUSY TENDING TO THE ALIENS, DARN THE WORLD. they’re evil creatures.
call it what you want by brigid kemmerer – [2.5★] welcome to my first-ever brigid kemerer in a lifetime!! this was surprisingly… SO MUCH MORE FABULOUS THAN IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE?? also is the sole reason (APART FROM SUHANI, LEADER OF THE WITCHES) i ended up devouring an ember in the ashes in a single night. I AM VERY PROUD OF ME.
an ember in the ashes by sabaa tahir – [3.5★] millitary schools are a SPECIAL KIND OF MAGICAL. THIS FANTASY IS FABULOUS, BASICALLY. and i’m obsessed. WHICH IS A HUGE THING BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN LIVING OFF OF SIX OF CROWS FOR SO LONG, AND AM DESPERATE FOR MORE FANTASIES?? (i still love you MY FABULOUS CROWS you shall always be MY FAVORITES I SWEAR) this book is brutal. and also phenomenal. I SHALL FOREVER LOVE YOU LAIA
the house on mango street by sandra cisneros – [0.5★] this book is a treasure if you someday happen to find an olive you particularly hate FROM THE BEGINNINGS OF THE UNIVERSE AND ALL OF MAGIC, TO THE DEEPEST, DARKEST DEPTHS OF TARTARUS. you must shove it under their nose (but make sure they’re following the aforementioned conditions before you move to do this I REFUSE TO GO BEHIND BARS FOR YOU) and claim that anyone who’s ever dared to attempt the brave endeavor of living MUST READ THIS. (or something like that) (THE POINT IS TO SHOVE IT UNDER ENEMY NOSES AND CACKLE AS IT TORTURES THEM OUT OF EXISTENCE. thus fulfilling your long-awaited revenge on the world)
daisy jones & the six by taylor jenkins reid – [2★] HEAR ME OUT. despite the murderously smol amount of stars (I EXPECTED TO BE MINDBLOWN AND I WAS NOT. I’M SALTY LIKE THAT) i’m still ridiculously IN LOVE WITH THIS. it’s actually pretty phenomenal AND IT TOOK OVER MY MIND FOR DAYS (signs of obvious amazingness). but also. I EXPECTED MORE?? (must reread AND SORT OUT ALL THE DECLARATIONS, MY APOLOGIES)
the palace of illusions by chitra banerjee divakaruni – [3★] you know the kind of books that don’t actually have phenomenal, mind-blowing stories or characters or ANY OF THE THINGS THAT GENERALLY DEFINE A GOOD BOOK?? but you still somehow end up liking it because, BY SOME EVIL TWISTS OF FATE, that story ends up being special to you??
reunion by stephattyy – [2.5★] I SWEAR I WAS STUDYING. all the webtoons are ABOMINABLY DISTRACTING LIKE THAT. it wasn’t my fault ok?? but also THIS WAS SO GOOD I FORGOT THE WORLD. and that’s what books are for, right?? RIGHT. (hence, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. I AM HAPPINESS)
APPARENTLY there’s these particular few release dates THAT PUBLISHERS ARE OBSESSED WITH and all the new books take over. or maybe it’s just a huge ploy to destroy bookwormish creatures who ONLY JUST WANT TO READ. but they can’t choose. publishers are cruel.
monarch rising by harper glenn [october 1, 2022] sometimes i read the name ‘jo’ and i get very easily won over like that. IT’S A PROBLEM.
a scatter of light by malinda lo [october 4, 2022] even though i’ve never read a malinda lo book, I’M A HUGE FAN. it’s kind of like how i was obsessed with six of crows FOR AN ETERNITY BEFORE READING IT?? because i’m 736354352% convinced i’m destined to fall in love with it but don’t yet happen to be ready for that. BUT IT KEEPS ME EXCITED.
anne of greenville by mariko tamaki [october 4, 2022] WELCOME to THE BOOK OF MY DREAMS!! IT’S AN ASIAN, LESBIAN ANNE WITH AN E RETELLING AND SOMEONE PLEASE REMIND WHAT ELSE I EVER WANTED FROM LIFE??? EXCUSE ME WHILE I SOB AS WE SPEAK I’M TOO HAPPY AND MY TEARS SOB WHEN I’M HAPPY. WE MUST IGNORE THINGS LIKE THAT.
the restless dark by erica waters [october 4, 2022] I AM OBSESSED WITH DARKNESS. it’s kind of this thing that’s insanely fascinating AND ALSO CONTAINS ALL THE SECRETS HUMANITY HAS NEVER KNOWN. and i want to know them. i’m currently convinced that the only way to doing that IS READING THIS BOOK. hence i read.
the second death of edie and violet by amanda glaze [october 4, 2022] i’ve recently discovered that i’m allergic to books where no one dies. so i’m changing paths AND READING ABOUT DOUBLE DEATHS (I AM GENIUS)
if you could see the sun by ann liang [october 11, 2022] heists are kind of my life. the reason behind that might be the fact that i one day want to become an expert at committing them. AND I FIGURED READING ABOUT THEM IS THE OBVIOUS BEST WAY TO GET BETTER, RIGHT?? RIGHT. hence i do that. UNTIL SOMEDAY I BECOME PERFECT AND STEAL ABOMINABLY IMPORTANT PEOPLE AND LIVE AMIDST GOLD*
night of the raven, dawn of the dove by rati mehrotra [october 18, 2022] indian-inspired fantasies with glorious covers and overly long names, FEATURING POLITICAL MESSES AND TRAGEDIES are kind of the sole weaknesses this planet can provide.
nothing sung and nothing spoken by nita tyndall [october 18, 2022] QUEER HISTORICAL FICTIONS SINGLEHANDEDLY KEEP ME ALIVE. DON’T QUESTION IT.
*OR, LIKE, BOOKS. BECAUSE BOOKS RULE. AND HEISTS ARE OBVIOUSLY COMMITTED FOR THE SINGULAR PURPOSE OF ACQUIRING MORE BOOKS. EVERYTHING IS FOR MORE BOOKS. I SHALL LIVE AMIDST WORDS AND RULE THEM ALL.
the whispering dark by kelly andrew [october 18, 2022] there’s something going on with the ‘something’ dark’s. I MUST TRAIN FOR THE DARKNESS.
road of the lost by nafiza azad [october 18, 2022] i’m a huge fan of roads. ROAD TRIPS ARE FABULOUS OCCURENCES. especially with the windows rolled down. there’s so much wind and its all green green GREEN and you get so many opportunities for FUN. CERTAIN BOLD PEOPLE ALSO COMPARED THIS BOOK TO THE CRUEL PRINCE SO I’M IN.
strike the zither by joan he [october 25, 2022] i’ve always loved the idea of striking things. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE OBJECT DOING THE STRIKING COMPRISES OF A SWORD. i’m possibly a huge fan like that. except google tells me zither is a musical instrument of sorts SO MAYBE MY HOPES SHALL BE DISAPPOINTED. YOU BETRAYER.**
eight nights of flirting by hannah reynolds [october 25, 2022] i like snow. PLUS THE SYNOPSIS CONTAINS MENTIONS OF HOT CHOCOLATE AND I GET EXCITED LIKE THAT (hot chocolate is THE BEST EVER WAY of winning me over. BUT WE MUSTN’T SPILL WEAKNESSES) there better be fabulous hot chocolate descriptions. THERE BETTER***
**EXCEPT THERE’S ALSO SLIGHT MENTIONS OF CHAOS IN THE SYNOPSISLY BEINGS AND I AM EXCITEMENT LIKE THAT
***OR THE UNIVERSES SHALL SEE DESTRUCTION
i’m actually abominably proud of the fact that this post gets to experience the light of day on the second day of october.
AND I’M ALLOWED THE HONOUR, ALRIGHT?? i am.
despite confusions of aliens named bob TAKING OVER THE WORDS and KIDNAPPING OLIVES, i’m pretty sure I’M STILL HERE. because isn’t kidnapping supposed to be obvious to the kidnappee?? AND IT WASN’T OBVIOUS TO ME****
****WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘ARE YOU SURE DUMBNESS IN RELATION TO YOU ISN’T CURRENTLY AT PLAY HERE’??? THERE’S NO INTERNET IN OUTERSPACE, GREEN ALIEN. MIND YOUR WORDLY ENDEAVORS.
- there’s apparently quite a lot of things i desperately want to do this october. AND I’M RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED ABOUT IT ALL.
- except it’s all also taking a lot of time. BUT EXCITEMENT.
- look. i love challenges. especially unconquerable ones.
- SUCH AS READING 32 BOOKS IN A MONTH. so i’m maybe trying that now. it’s been… ONE DAY, BUT I’M DOING GREAT. also known as ANOUSHKA IGNORING LIFELY PEOPLE AND RESONSIBILITIES THAT THE WORLD ASSUMES ARE HERS. AND INSTEAD SPENDING ALL HER TIME READING. i audiobooked a kasie west novel on the first and was done in three hours. IT WAS FUN. except for the part where i hated the book. THAT SUCKED A LITTLE.
- am also halfway done with another kasie west because i’m queen of disappointments and make them give me life. this book is worse. AND I WONDER WHY I SUFFER.
- the plan for tonight, though, is to binge on earth we’re briefly gorgeous in one night AND SCREAM THOUGHTS. i expect to fall in love. BECAUSE EVERYONE FALLS IN LOVE. and i want to be everyone.
- i shall be on fall break for a week AND IT’S CURRENTLY MY BASIC SURVIVAL MECHANISM (minus the kasie west disappointments. THOSE ARE INCLUDED TOO) although am plotting a new novel idea SO AS TO FURTHER EXCITEMENTS AND SUCH, and shall possibly battle all the demons by drafting in a week. MY DREAMS RUIN MY LIFE SOMETIMES.
- BUT!! there’s also the daily newsletter that was born yesterday AND IT LOVES THE SKY. here’s the signup form if you need that:
- we’re currently two issues through and GOSHDARNIT I LOVE WRITING SO MUCH
i’ve been slightly terrible at all things blogging this september. I BLAME IT ON THE FACT THAT I EITHER SPEND ALL MY TIME DOING EVERYDAY TASKS LIKE LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD. or i live in the blog. balancing them both is IMPOSSIBILITY. and i don’t do impossible.
- suhani celebrates her FIRST EVER BLOGIVERSARY (OHMIGAOSH CONGRATS) AND LOOK!!! i’m mentioned!!!! my smol, amazing olive fiend RULING THE UNIVERSE LIKE THAT 🥺
- queenie reviews babel AND IT’S THE MOST PHENOMENAL POST OF EVER.
- naomi compares cli-fi books to days of the week (the books win) AND IT’S ALL PRETTY FABULOUS BECAUSE NAOMI’S THE RULER LIKE THAT.
- naemi discusses all her favorite tropes in books and iconically increases our tbrs. AS IS HER HABIT. although i mustn’t complain because i’m eternally grateful to her for that. THERE IS ALSO TALK OF MUSIC AND I SUGGEST YOU FLAIL OVER THE GORGEOUSNESS.
- akshita launches THE BOOK CHARACTER AWARDS so say goodbye to the best actor awards people!!!! BOOKS RULE AROUND HERE. also the awards. they’re kind of the highlight of my month.
- sophie shows us all the amazing YA books that would make the best ever netflix shows AND THERE’S AESTHETICS FOR EVERYTHING AND IT’S POSSIBLY MY MOST FAVORITE POST OF ALL ETERNITY. we must universally agree that sophie should be ruler AND CONQUER THE SOLAR SYSTEM.
- KAYA GIVES US ALL THE 2022 DIVERSE DEBUTS AND LISTS ARE AMAZING. i must read all the books. AND ALSO OBSESS. kaya’s posts are always iconic like that.
- the fabulous lotus talks about eliza and her monsters AND THAT’S MY MOST FAVORITE BOOK OF EVER DANGIT
- i have a percy jackson obsession. so it’s well justified how watching the teaser trailer non-stop since it was dropped SHALL BE NORMAL FOR PEOPLE. me included. IT’S FABULOUSNESS. go watch.
- also cait’s new book shall be published AND I AM IN DESPERATE WANT OF A TIME MACHINE. but also willing to wait BECAUSE THE RESULT SHALL BE WORTH IT. maybe i’ll hibernate for a year.
- and the shadow and bone s2 trailer HOW DOES ALL THE EXCITING STUFF HAPPEN IN A SINGLE MONTH ITS LIKE THE WORLD FLOURISHES OFF OF ME EXPLODING IN CONFUSION AND HAPPY TEARS. i’m obsessed.
- (although i should probably watch season 1 soon BUT WE MUST MAKE THE GOOD THINGS LAST)
I MAY BE FREAKING OUT A LITTLE.
you know when you’re casually counting down the days to december because reading holiday books with cheesy romances that you shall enjoy but still rate a mere two stars SOUNDS SO NICE RIGHT NOW, and realize it’s just THREE SMOL MONTHS until you get to do that?? IT MAKES SANITY LEAVE THE ROOM.
(THREE MONTHS IS SO SMOL I HAVEN’T DONE ANYTHING YET)
but then you remember (WHICH IS OFTEN DANGEROUS AND NOT TO BE TRIED ALONE AT HOME, KIDS) how you were supposed to write a ‘goals for the new year’ post sometime last year, but you never actually did. time messes with plans too often.
but then you get all nostalgic and teary eyed thinking of that post you were supposed to write this time last year but never got to.
i made such grand plans that december. BUT I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT PLANS ARE CREATED FOR FAILURE. it’s my life motto and keeps me from getting too sad.
WHY DO YOU LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT, FRANK
first kill (ep 1 – 3) – i am very hard to please when it comes to tv shows (ALL TYPES OF MEDIA ACTUALLY. it’s just that i don’t watch the rest of a show if the first five minutes don’t interest me. but i continue on with books even if the characters make me want to punch teeth with the first line they speak) (I AM DUMB WHEN IT COMES TO BOOKS. ITS ANNOYING) but this show IS PHENOMENAL IN WAYS. so many ways. it’s kind of like a world-changingly better version of only a monster in that it follows the plotline of monster vs hero. I HAVE THOUGHTS. you shall soon be subject to them.
mission mangal (rewatch the 7th) [5★] – maybe me loving this movie has more to do with nostalgia than the actual content of it. becaue you know what happened?? the last time i watched it, I WAS UNDERWHELMED. *gasps* and i hate that because THIS MOVIE IS SUPPOSED TO BE MY LIFE??? i’ve possibly just watched it too many times maybe. BUT I STILL NEED TO LOVE THIS. SOMEONE MAKE ME LOVE IT AGAIN.
the sky is pink [4★] – MOOSE IS ICONIC ok?? and also THE BEST EVER FEMALE CHARACTER IN ALL OF HINDI TELEVISION. i love her.
- it’s still slightly surreal when i remember the fact that i used to draft posts a year ago too. LIKE, I HAVEN’T JUST STARTED APPARENTLY??? it makes me feel dumb about still feeling like a flailing newborn. BUT SECRETS, ALIEN.
- it was also my birthday on the 29th AND THE FACT THAT CAIT’S BOOK WAS ANNOUNCED ON THE SAME DAY WAS THE HIGHLIGHT. dude, ITS HORROR AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT EXCITEMENT FEELS LIKE.
- also my smol cousins love me AND IT MAKES MY YEAR LIKE THAT.
- one of the other plus sides to living in india is that THERE’S A LOT OF BIRTHDAYS. especially in september (no, ever since i arrived honestly. BUT SEPTEMBER’S SPECIAL BECAUSE THERE’S MINE) SO THERE’S ALSO A LOT OF CAKE. and i’ve been slightly living off of it recently. CAKE IS ONE OF THE WORLD’S GREATEST CREATIONS OKAY.
GOSH DUDE. this took me so long to write. MY WRISTS PAIN. also i’m so tired BUT VERY VERY ACCOMPLISHED. also LOOK. i’m only a day late for my posting schedule!!! (we ignore the past week. and also YESTERDAY. the world IS EVIL. i must shift schedules to a day forward. IGNORE MY MINOR INCONSISTENCIES YOU HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH YOU LIFE)
thoughts on september AND THE WAY IT MADE YOU RETREAT INTO THE DEEP DARK FORESTS OF THE UNDERWORLD?? books you’re currently obsessed with BECAUSE I NEED DETAILS? WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE SEASON AND DO YOU HAVE FALL BREAK OR MUST WE BURN DOWN THE WORLD IN REBELLION???