sometimes the months decide to be ridiculous and fly by you.
it’s the way of the world actually, because it feeds off of evilness like that.
giving you major existential crises sometime around july and the end of the year are it’s greatest reasons for being.
so that’s how you find yourself dreaming of a windy january day (or, like, a scorching hot one, depending on where you live, YOU ALIEN), looking out the window at the ice cream truck (REVERSE THE CONDITIONS OF EVERYTHING IF THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE IS INVOLVED) and worriedly obsessing over the fact that EVERYONE SKIPPED MAY AND NO ONE EVEN SEEMS TO NOTICE.
i’m sorry, smol olive of mine, but maybe your memory is faulty. ALTHOUGH IF ASKED A FEW MORE TIMES, I’D AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF MAY WHATSOEVER. do we blame it on dark magic WE WERE NEVER ASKED TO BE A PART OF??? yes. yes, WE DO.
life is just easier like that. AND MAYBE WE COULD ALSO SOMEDAY GO IN SEARCH OF MAGIC AND FIND IT. so it’s actually a GOOD THING.
(or so we shall believe)
in honor of PRIDE MONTH, i joined all the nice little beans in reading only queer books in june SO LIFE WAS PERFECT LIKE THAT. i also may have created a 35 book long tbr (LOOK. IT HAD 44 BOOKS IN THE BEGINNING OK??? I TRIED) and then ended up defying it BECAUSE ISN’T THAT WHAT THE TBRs ARE FOR?? #YES
we are okay by nina lacour – [4★] bawling your eyes out over a book at 2 in the night probably does not seem like a good idea. but two areas in this universe are firmly established as MY DOMAIN: the domain of the olives and that of wild decisions. THIS WAS THAT BOOK. and crying over it was the wild decision.
queens of geek by jen wilde – [2★] one of my biggest regrets in life is NOT LOVING THIS BOOK ENOUGH. expectations are dangerous things.
i kissed shara wheeler by casey mcquiston – [4★] there is evilness and mysteries and twists and AMAZINGNESS. and a song that doesn’t say which of them he’s jealous of. IT’S ALL PRETTY PERFECT, ACTUALLY.
home field advantage by dahlia adler – [1.5★] it is hugely disappointing when your one-of-the-most-anticipated release for the year ENDS UP BEING TERRIBLE AND THEREBY CRUSHES YOUR LIFE. books are evil like that. BUT ALSO I LIKED THE SPORTS PART.
ace of spades by faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé – [2★] am basically suffering from a syndrome known as INSANE-AMOUNTS-OF-CONFUSION because this book is famous like that?? ALSO THE ENDING MAKES NO SENSE and i am CONFUSION and HOW DID EVERYTHING BECOME SO HAPPY AND PERFECT????? ridiculousness. BUT THE BEGINNING WAS ADDICTING OK?
flip the script by lyla lee – [1★] sometimes books set out with the aim of being perfect. but then they decide that rebelliousness suits them better and transform into trash. SORRY FOR THE RUDENESS, BUT I NEED TO BE TRUTHFUL RIGHT??
it’s a littttle sad how most of the books ended up changing their titles to DISAPPOINTMENT, but SHHHH. at least there were books?
nura and the immortal palace by m.t. khan [july 5th 2022] – look. judging books by the covers IS A PERFECTLY FINE WAY OF LIFE. ok?? why would you choose to evilly disregard all the work that the cover artists have put into it HMMM??? life is unfair like that. THUS COVERS MUST BE JUDGED AND I AM JUDGING THEM.
what souls are made of by tasha suri [july 5th 2022] – tasha suri has written it so i shall read it. THE CHOICE WAS ACTUALLY QUITE SIMPLE LIKE THAT. buuuuut there’s also indian rep and TALK OF BALANCING BETWEEN TWO CULTURES AND IMMIGRATION AND IS SET DURING THE BRITISH-RULE-IN-INDIA PERIOD. what about this DOESN’T? SCREAM? EXCITEMENT???
the darkening by sunya mara [july 5th 2022] – ‘everything fantasy’ is kind of my motto in life. this book features cursed storms and daughters of failed revolutionaries and princes terrified of their thrones. FUN STUFF.
wake the bones by elizabeth kilcoyne [july 12th 2022] – this is horror and i’m currently on a smol mission to prove to the world THAT I DO NOT RUN UNDER BEDS FROM MERE THREATS OF BEING EATEN BY MONSTERS anymore. and there’s also talk of sleepy farms THAT ARE SECRETLY EVIL AND OWN MAGIC AND NEVER SHARE.
the daughter of doctor moreau by silvia moreno-garcia [july 19th 2022] – idk man, the cover looks ridiculously PERFECT and can you tell that i am OBSESSED WITH ALL THE COLOR???
long story short by serena kaylor [july 26th 2022] – a SHAKESPEARE (!!!) summer camp plus a main character WHO LIKES TO HIDE IN LIBRARIES WHEN FACED WITH HAVING TO INTERACT WITH PEOPLE and all the generally-hellish part of life EQUALS FREAKISHLY HUGE AMOUNTS OF EXCITEMENT. obviously. ALSO THE TITLE BEING A TAYLOR SWIFT SONG REFERENCE DEFINITELY HELPS MATTERS.
the book of gothel by mary mcmyne [july 26th 2022] – i know nothing about this, BUT ‘GOTHEL’ SOUNDS NICE, OK?? plus IT’S A RAPUNZEL RETELLING AND – jhdsghdsaghv IT’S ABOUT THE WITCH WHO KIDNAPS HER!!!!! ARE WE ALLOWED TO SCREAAAAAAM YET
Violet Made of Thorns by Gina Chen [July 26th 2022] – i get distracted by book covers too often. i’d call it rude if i didn’t love it so much. but i do. so I DON’T EXACTLY GET ALL THE COMPLAINING RIGHTS.
- the world decided TO BE KIND FOR ONCE and graced us with THE SEASON 2 OF HEARTSTOPPER!!!!! *cue excited screaming BECAUSE WHAT ELSE DO WE DO OVER HERE* EXCUSE MEEE while i go research all the hibernation tactics and then proceed with aforementioned hibernation UNTIL IT RELEASES.
- the percy jackson show started filming AND CAN I PLEASE JUST CRY?? it’s slightly surreal and my eyes water.
- holly black announced ALL THE DETAILS about her new book on oak THAT EVERYONE IS GOING ABSOLUTELY INSANE OVER
- the red white and royal blue cast was announced AND MAYBE I SHOULD GO READ THE BOOK NOW?
what do you do when you (accidentally) end up typing more instagram posts in ONE MONTH than you have in the entirety of the 5 other months that 2022 has lived for??
you celebrate with chocolate obviously!!! which is why no one DARE BLAME ME if they open the fridge and find all the chocolates missing (oops?)
(LOOK, CHOCOLATES TASTE AMAZING OKAY?? AND I SWEAR I TRIED EATING ONLY ONE. but self-control is a difficult thing. PLUS DON’T YOU THINK I EARNED IT??? DIDN’T I??? HMMM??)
ok, technically that’s a lie. i didn’t type up more posts in june than i did in the rest of 2022. but it WAS my most-active month!! with a total of SIX POSTS and the rest of 2022 had only 12 SO THAT’S NICE, RIGHT??
YES. yes, it is. so you shall be tortured with smol summaries BECAUSE TORTURE IS NICE.
- the one on the left is MY MOST FAVORITE POST OF THE MONTH (as in THE ONE WITH THE LARGEST AMOUNTS OF SCREAMS) because talking about favorite characters is THE BEST OF EVER RIGHT?? RIGHT. also there’s KAZ BREKKER AND ALL THE GOOD THINGS
- the right-side post is the one that THE PEOPLE LIKED THE MOST and the comments are where the screaming takes place (except there’s some in the post too BECAUSE WHAT DO I DO IF NOT SCREAM ALL THE DAYS) and its about my recent shara wheeler obsession. BECAUSE IT IS A NICE THING.
oh WOW LOOK!! i wrote 5 WHOLE POSTS this month AND AM STILL ALIVE??!!! magic, am i right??
i also blog-hopped A LOT (so the ‘obsession’ part of this might be LOOOOOONG) and just generally tried to be THE GOOD BLOGGER, but am an exhausted olive right now *sobs* BUT ALSO HAPPY BECAUSE DID YOU NOT HEAR THE FIVE POSTS PART???
- ash, the deity of the UNIVERSE, talked about their NEW WIP THAT IS PERFECTION WRAPPED IN MAGIC AND HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO JUST CONTINUE LIVING MY LIFE LIKE NORMAL WHEN I AM DESPERATE FOR IT ASHHHHH???? (#evilness) there’s also TALK OF BURNING DOWN THE WORLD EXCUSE ME WHILE I CONVENIENTLY PROCEED TO FLAIL
- rachel discusses the MAGICAL GLORY OF PRIDE AND PREJUDICE that is *cue the drumroll please* THE ENEMIES-TO-LOVERS OBVIOUSLY!! and also talks about what makes it THE BEST EVER. bottom line is: YOU MUST RUN.
- naemi visited poland AND THEN DECIDED TO BE KIND AND BLESSED US WITH ALL THE BOOK RECS, AS IS HER HABIT. and she also wrote an entire post WITH THE MOST UNIQUE CONCEPT OF EVER (as is also her habit) featuring poland AND AFOREMENTIONED BOOKS. because she’s amazing like that.
- suhani THE QUEEN made her grand return WITH THE MID-YEAR BOOK FREAKOUT TAG and EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL OVER IT ALL AND MY KEYBOARD JOINS ME IN THE SCREAMING
- nehal writes a story titled THE WRONG MURDER filled with CREEPINESS GALORE AND I LOVE
- cherelle discussed HEROISM AND VILLAINY AND ALL THE IN-BETWEEN AND LOOK. i may be obsessed
- diya IS PHENOMENAL LIKE ALWAYS and types out THE BEST EVER rant on all the things wrong with ‘from blood and ash’ AND IT SHALL MAKE YOU CACKLE.
- kaya reviews this vicious grace AND DID I EVER MENTION HER REVIEWS ARE AMAZING?? also AM DESPERATE FOR THE BOOK.
- janhavi talks about how bts changed her life AND EXCUSE ME WHILE I SOB BECAUSE IT’S TOO BEAUTIFUL AND WE MUST OBSESS.
- prutha reviews tj powar has something to prove AND GETS ME EXCITED AGAIN!!! she’s nice like that
- sophie matches books with the soundtrack of ‘promising young women’ AND THE WORLD IS PERFECTION LIKE ALWAYS. WE MUST DEVOUR THE POST.
- ahaana MAKES HER FABULOUS RETURN with a q&a featuring ALL HER DELICIOUS SECRETS!! everybody, SCREAM!!!!!
- dhriti lists all the things she wishes to do in public BUT NEVER HAS. hi i’m the olive AND THIS IS MY LIFE-LONG BUCKET LIST, I OWN A GREEN TOOTHBRUSH BYE
- booksy lists all the HORRENDOUSLY AMAZING characteristics of a smol bookworm and it’s #painfully #relatable AND AMAZINGNESS. there’s also EVILNESS TOWARDS ALL THE HUMANS. #FUUUUUUN
- katja celebrates 9 years of blogging and, look. I AM AWED OKAY?? THERE’S ALSO ALL THE Q&As SO WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING OVER HERE, MY OLIVE??? HEAD OVERRRR
- saima recommends us ALL THE SAPPHIC BOOKS OF EVER and the list is PERFECTION OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE
- jan talks about ALL THE THINGS SHE’D LIKE TO SEE MORE OF IN BOOKS, and EXCUSE ME while i FRANTICALLY AGREE AND NOD MY HEAD ALONG
- zahra writes about the magnificence of stories and it is beautiful and gorgeous and PERFECT.
- 24 hr ya books wrote a FABULOUS review on the ghosts of rose hill AND EXCUSE ME BUT I NEED ok??
- jayati reviews their BEST READS OF THE YEAR, and GO KIDNAP ALL THE BOOKS, PEOPLE!!! they are AMAZINGNESS.
- anushka is back with her mind-blowing poetry AND WE’RE ALL HERE FOR IT!!! EXCUSE ME THERE’S JUST SOMETHING IN MY EYE THOSE AREN’T TEARS OK
- sophia reviewed feather and flame AND SOMEONE KIDNAP THE ENTIRE SERIES FOR ME PLEASE??? my tbr shall burst AND I’M BLAMING IT ON SOPHIA
- line recommends us ALL THE DELICIOUSNESS KNOWN AS POLITICAL FANTASY AND IT!! IS!! MY!! NEW!! OBSESSION!!
there’s screaming and there’s betrayal and SOME MORE SCREAMING. basically i was angry AND THE KEYBOARD HAD TO DEAL WITH IT. this post was the result.
sometimes i’m nice and create stories. on HIGHLY RARE occassions, i let you PEEK INTO THEM. this is one of those rare glances. GO LOOK.
i reveal some secrets and SCREAM OVER FAVORITES. also books make me cry sometimes AND I CONFESS STUFF OVER HERE. it’s SLIGHTLY sad and FREAKISHLY LONG but also S E C R E T S.
i found a new book and fell in love with it. there’s mystery and a friendship group (WHICH IS THE BEST OF EVER) and pink envelopes and messages and secrets. it’s all pretty perfect actually. AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.
everyone knows that summer = WORLD DOMINATION. i lay bare my plans AND THERE IS HIDDEN EVILNESS BENEATH. also dragons BECAUSE THE WORLD ISN’T EVEN WORTH DOMINATING OTHERWISE.
i sometimes wish i had a more exciting life where magic still existed JUST SO i could write something interesting in THE LIFE SECTION each month. but the world is rude like that so my life is dull.
but also. come to think of it – if i battled dragons in real life, WOULD I STILL EVEN BOTHER WRITING WORDS??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA – you’re funny. WHY WOULD I BOTHER? my life is complete and i shall betray the words. obviously.
- stranger things [season 1] – look. i know i’m late on the hype train and all, BUT I’M HERE NOW, AREN’T I?? i fell in love, basically
- stranger things [season 2] – MAX, I LOVE YOUUUUUU!!! also JOYCE IS MY NEW HERO BECAUSE SHE’S FREAKISHLY FIERCE AND AMAZING AND ALSO SLIGHTLY BADASS AND THE BRAVEST HUMAN OF EVER AND I LOVE HER AND BEQUEATH HER THE WORLD
- prom – hdhgedghdghv EXCUSE ME WHILE I SCREAMMMMM BECAUSE I LOVE!!!!!
- i (FINALLY) cleared up all my goodreads shelves AND CHANGED RATINGS and sorted out the mess AND IT’S ALL KIND OF NICE NOW!! BE PROUD OF ME
- but also. MY AVERAGE RATING IS 2.77 and. I AM SLIGHTLY PANICKING???
- it’s actually all six of crows though. BLAME SIX OF CROWS. how am i supposed to just HAND OUT 5 STARS LIKE THAT when six of crows GOT IT, and no other book can ever reach that level of GORGEOUS PERFECTION????
- life choices are DIFFICULT
- oh and also i was 7 books ahead of my goodreads challenge BECAUSE REMEMBER THAT TIME I WENT WILD AND READ 23 BOOKS IN A MONTH?? yes, that helped.
- but then all the nice things BORED ME so i ended up shifting my goal to 200 books BECAUSE WINNING IS VERY ORDINARY AND BLAND AND I AM JUST DUMB LIKE THAT??
- don’t worry though! it’s still maintaining THE EXCITEMENT BIT and am (MOSTLY) not panicking!!!
- in other news, THERE’S STILL THE MANGOES and i’m still surviving off of them AND THEY’RE MY LIFE. (but also books)
- oh and THE SUMMER STARTED (on july the first) SO THAT’S NICE!!
- except the books DISAGREE and have been set on cutting away my soul. RUDE CREATURES.
- i… don’t think anything else happened??
- I HONESTLY DO NOT EVEN REMEMBER AT THIS POINT. THE MONTHS ARE RIDICULOUS.
how was YOUR june, SMOL OLIVE OF MINE?? books you devoured??? ANY NEW FAVORITES THAT STOLE YOU?? KIDNAPPERS ON THE LOSE I MUST BE AWARE OF?? WAS THERE CAKE??? did you encounter ANY ICE CREAM VANS??? LEMONADE??? people, TALK