“Sometimes if you tell yourself enough times that something the world believes to be a lie, IS ACTUALLY THE TRUTH, then perhaps you shall end up believing it. But you must remind yourself enough times obviously. THAT IS KEY.”
At least, that’s what they say. And I kind of hate them (better known as ‘people with weird sayings that are obviously lies because they also contradict other people with weird sayings, which is MAYBE the way this world works? BUT YOU CANNOT FOOL ME OKAY #genius) so today we shall try out aforementioned saying that is staring you down at this very second in HUGE BLACK LETTERS DEMANING ATTENTION (look above, folks)
The thing we shall convince ourselves of goes along the lines of such: The calendar in my computer is lying because its OBVIOUSLY not the 18th of may BUT THE 30TH OF APRIL. Clocks lie. So do computers. AND ANOUSHKA ALWAYS POSTS MONTHLY WRAP UPS AT THE EXACT LAST DAY OF SAID MONTH BECAUSE SHE’S A RESPONSIBLE OLIVE LIKE THAT.
Now believe it. Or don’t. WE COULD PROVE THE PEOPLE WRONG. Ooooor we could imagine I am punctual and AMAZING and you can love me forever. THE WORLD IS KIND TODAY.
I went slightly mad this month and had a book feast. THERE WAS ALSO A TEA PARTY AFTER. So basically I gave up sleep and all the other human-stuff that is considered so important for survival, and READ NON-STOP, resulting in me ending the month with 23 books on my read list. I FEEL HIGHLY ACCOMPLISHED. (And slightly sleep-deprived BUT ITS FINE)
When You Get the Chance by Emma Lord ★★★★☆ [4⭐] – The musical theater part of it was AMAZING and everything was like AN EXPLOSION OF FLAVOURS AND WORDS AND PRECIOUS CHARACTERS. I!!! LOVE!!!
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis ★★★☆☆ [3.5⭐] – Everytime I think of this book, I FEEL SAD ABOUT THE FACT THAT I NEVER GOT TO READ THIS AS A SMOL KID?? Because I would have been obsessed with it then. (AND POSSIBLY ALSO CHECKED INSIDE RANDOM PEOPLE’S WARDROBES FOR SUSPICIOUS LOOKING ICE-LANDS WHICH MIGHT HAVE MAYBE ENDED BADLY??)
Tweet Cute by Emma Lord ★★☆☆☆ [2.5⭐] – Idek where to start with this?? Parts of it were really nice and sweet AND I LOVED, but also… it was very meh overall?? I DO NOT EVEN REMEMBER, IT’S BEEN SO LONG
She Gets the Girl by Rachael Lippincott and Alyson Derrick ★★★★☆ [4⭐] – THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN, i may have cried when it ended because….. FUUUUN ok?? PRECIOUS CHARACTERS. Plus there were some books involved!!
She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – There’s this one christmas scene in it, THAT I AM POSITIVELY OBSESSED WITH AND HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DREAM ABOUT BETWEEN CHEMISTRY EXAMS. Do not question, sometimes i like books too much, ok??
Late to the Party by Kelly Quindlen ★★☆☆☆ [2⭐] – I… did not really like?? Mostly because REASONS. Such as: 1) there wasn’t any FOOOOOOD 2) no one died 3) NO SWORDS. OR THREATS. OR ANYTHING INTERESTING (except this one time they all play in the woods, WHICH IS WHY THE TWO STARS) 4) it was slightly boring
Some Girls Do by Jennifer Dugan ★☆☆☆☆ [1⭐] – The characters were SO UNLIKEABLE?? And there… wasn’t really anything even minutely amazing about this?? EXCEPT THE FRIENDSHIPS. Which had SO FEW scenes i don’t even remember anyone’s names anymore?? #HATE (AND ALSO THE COVER IS NICE)
The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – This was DARK and completely unexpected. THE CHARACTERS WERE AMAZING ACTUALLY, but i wanted more details about the end?? AND I AM ALSO SLIGHTLY CONFUSED ABOUT STUFF, but that is normal
Dial A for Aunties by Jesse Q. Sutanto ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – The entire storyline was RIDICULOUS but, like, also so much FUN!! It has you-shall-die-from-uncontrollable-laughter-and-have-come-to-be-known-as-the-local-madman levels of humour AND EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC but also AMAZING?? AND DID I MENTION FUN (also some of the characters need to consider re-organizing their priority lists BUT WE SHALL CUT THEM SOME SLACK)
Verity by Colleen Hoover ★☆☆☆☆ [1⭐] – I was highly OBSESSED while reading it AND HAVING TO ANSWER TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY CALLED MY NAME was torture. But also… most of it is so problematic and messed up?? I DO NOT LIKE. Plus i wish to personally murder all the characters even though that might lead to me becoming a criminal. BUT ITS OKAY. Being on the run is supossed to be fun, right??
How Maya Got Fierce by Sona Charaipotra ★★☆☆☆ [2⭐] – I HATED THE ROMANCE SO MUCH. But the FOOD + desi rep + FOOD + working at a magazine + FOOD WAS AMAZING so not a complete failure! PARTS OF IT WERE A LOT OF FUN. ESPECIALLY THE FOOD.
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – Mostly nothing happened?? There was absolutely NO PLOT. And I’m aware that the book wasn’t supossed to be about a plot, but I was mostly just really bored and slightly disappointed?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – SAME REASONS AS FOR SPEAK (see above). And the characters weren’t my favorites honestly?? BUT THERE WERE SOME BOOKS MENTIONED AND I KIND OF REALLY LIKE THAT
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire ★★★★★ [5⭐] – The story of my dreams. IT ACTUALLY EXISTS GUYS. I cried BECAUSE IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL AND EVERYTHING I’VE EVER WANTED AND NOW I SHALL RUN AWAY INTO THIS BOOK AND NEVER COME BACK!! bye, maybe i’ll miss you
One for All by Lillie Lainoff ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – It took me a ridiculously long to time to finish this, and MAYBE I wasn’t the biggest fan of all the characters, BUT ITS SET IN FRANCE!!! Also there’s FEMALE MUSKETEERS!! DID YOU HEAR THAT, PEOPLE??? AND DID I MENTION RIDICULOUSLY HUGE AMOUNTS OF SWORD-FIGHTING WHICH I PREDICTABLY FELL IN LOVE WITH??
American Panda by Gloria Chao ★★★★☆ [4⭐] – ALL THE HOT-CHOCOLATE APPRECIATION couldn’t have made me NOT like it, right?? OBVIOUSLY. Hot chocolate is a superior item of food. WHY ISN’T ITS AMAZINGNESS ACKNOWLEDGED MORE OFTEN?? #unfair
Ophelia After All by Racquel Marie ★★★★☆ [4⭐] – LOOK AT ALL THE SHINY NEW RELEASES I AM DEVOURING! Ophelia (the MC in aforementioned shiny-new-release) is so precious and AMAZING and I love everyone actually?? PLUS FLOWERS.
Solitaire by Alice Oseman ★★★★★ [4.5⭐] – This was a complete surprise. ALSO MY FIRST EVER ALICE OSEMAN NOVEL (except heartstopper) AND I AM MINDBLOWN?? This is nice. SO NICE. I love you, Tori. ALSO IT MAKES SOME HIGHLY VALID POINTS ABOUT PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND I KIND OF LOVED THAT
Nick and Charlie by Alice Oseman ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – Reading a smol part of Nick and Charile’s story in novel form was fun, BUT THE GRAPHIC NOVELS STILL RULE SUPREME.
This Winter by Alice Oseman ★★★☆☆ [3⭐] – I STILL LOVE YOU TORI
If This Gets Out by Sophie Gonzales and Cale Dietrich ★★★☆☆ [3.5⭐] – Sliiiiightly underwhelming. OK I AM ACTUALLY REALLY DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE MY EXPECTATIONS WERE SO HIGH AND I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS OKAY??? But then I ended up discovering Only Mostly Devastated is the SUPERIOR sophie gonzales novel, WHICH IS NICE AND ALL, BECAUSE OMD IS MY LIFE, but stillll, I WAS EXCIIIIITED!!
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ★★★★★ [5⭐] – I do not know words. I LOVE YOU, EVERYONE, I LOVE YOU
It might be a good idea to lock your houses properly at night after this. Probably also your bookshelves. Because apparently I have been known to steal books??? pfft WHO EVEN MAKES THESE RULES?? I mean do I not have obvious access to owning ALL THE BOOKS EVER WRITTEN??
But I kind of ended up borrowing books from my cousins AND BROUGHT THEM BACK HOME so I could stare at them forever and… possibly never give them back again?? SEE I AM DANGEROUS. You must never LEND books to me. If you say ‘Here, I’ll be kind and let you have this precious book of mine for a few days since you want to read it so bad!! Return it after you’re done’ I can 892718910% guarantee you – THAT’S THE END. Your precious book is GONE. I have eaten it and shall keep it with me forever. DON’T EVER LET ME BORROW BOOKS. I have been proven dangerous in such cases. THE WORLD IS RUDE.
AND I also ordered books through amazon AND THEY LOOK SO NICE. EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL. NO BUT SERIOUSLY, THEY!! ARE!! SO!!! THICK!! AND DID YOU SEE THE PAPER??? THEY HAVE PAGES!!! ALSO COVERS AND WORDS AND SOME OF THEM HAVE MAPS AND THEY LOOK SO NICE I COULD HOLD THEM FOREVER OK??
I got this LARGE Game of Thrones copy for REALLY cheap AND AM MADLY HAPPY ABOUT THAT. ALSO!! Brandon Sanderson!! I’ve been meaning to read his books since SO-LONG-I-DON’T-EVEN-REMEMBER-WHAT-IS-TIME and now!! i!! have!! mistborn!! IT’S SO WHITE AND HAS THIS LITTLE BLACK AND BLUE DESIGN ON THE COVER AND A GHOST-TYPE FIGURE ON THE SPINE AND THE FONT IS SO NICE TOO!! AND its. so. thick. I!! LOVE!!!
Then there’s a darker shade of magic (WHICH HAPPENS TO BE MY FIRST EVER V.E. SCHWAB BOOK OF EVER) and I buddy read it with the wonderful Suhani!! WE SCREAMED ABOUT LILA’S GLOVES AND MAGIC! It was fun! ALSO UNDER A WHISPERING DOOR WHICH I AM SLIGHTLY OFFENDED IS SO THIN (why???) but OK. I. NEED. TO. READ. THEM. But like, if I read them, THEY SHALL FINISH, RIGHT?? And i do not want that. #CONFUSION.
Its slightly SAD how all the Maggie Stiefvater books disappeared (except scorpio) BUT I GOT SO MANY AMAZING ONES!! AND AM EXCITED!!
Do you see the Graveyard book sitting OVER THERE?? The drawings in it are so GORGEOUS and magical I DIED. I am lowkey obsessed and I haven’t even read the book yet??? I also got some classics and… have been since avoiding their existence.
(See there were these really pretty versions of the jane austen books WITH LEATHER-BOUND COVERS (!!!) and resisting stuff like that is H A R D. I don’t do hard stuff.)
APPARENTLY SOMEONE DECIDED THAT IT WOULD BE NICE IF ALL THE AMAZING BOOKS CAME OUT ON MAY THE THIRD AND LED TO A WORLD-WIDE INCREASE IN BRAIN-COMBUSTION CASES IN BOOKWORMS. Who was that person???? WE MUST START CREATING MURDER PLANS RIGHT AWAY, PEOPLE. So I may have drowned trying to decide which one to read FIRST, because… I DON’T DECISION-MAKE. WHAT WEIRDNESS DOES THIS WORLD EXPECT OF ME??? So obviously drowning under all the to-be-made piles of decisions SEEMED LIKE A MUCH BETTER IDEA. #genius
Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater [May 3rd 2022] – Maggie Stiefvater?? DISNEY MOVIE RETELLING??? I-am-a-cover-judger-and-i-declare-this-one-gorgeous?? My second most anticipated release of the year, AND AM EXPECTING A LOT (see i’ve practically been whispering about how i’m ready to give up a kidney for this since an year now. I DESERVE TO EXPECT GOODNESS)
I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston [May 3rd 2022] – I am mostly here because SAPPHIC ROMANCE. Otherwise… shara wheeler sounds like a nice name??… OKAY i do not know details. DON’T JUDGE.
The Noh Family by Grace K. Shim [May 3rd 2022] – The cover looks nice?? THAT IS A PERFECTLY FINE REASON TO DIE FOR A BOOK, EXCUSE YOU, judgemental olive OVER THERE
Family of Liars by E. Lockhart [May 3rd 2022] – SEE I AM UNHEALTHILY OBSESSED WITH WE WERE LIARS AND I HAVE BEEN NEEDING THIS SINCE AN YEAR.
The Many Half-Lived Lives of Sam Sylvester by Maya MacGregor [May 3rd 2022] – I… know nothing?? Except half-lived lives sounds KIND OF NICE AND FASCINATING. Also why have I never heard of the name ‘sylvester’ before?? 10000000/10 using it for every character surname OF EVER.
A Show for Two by Tashie Bhuiyan [May 10th 2022] – I am trash for books with south asian rep. PLUS I AM HUGE NEWLY-NAMED COUNTING DOWN WITH YOU FAN OK??
The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah [May 17th 2022] – it is fantasy. i need.
Beauty and the Besharam by Lillie Vale [May 24th 2022] – Besharam is one of my favorite hindi words. Besides mahanga and pani puri. AND DID I EVER MENTION I AM UNHEALTHILY ATTRACTED TO GORGEOUS COVERS
WHAT IS SCREAMING?? is there an unsaid rule that states if you scream just enough each day, screaming becomes part of a normal human’s COMPLETELY ORDIANARY life’s EVERYDAY STUFF?? I think so. Because it seems like it. THAT HAPPENED TO ME OKAY??
maybe i might be trying to cover up the fact that i don’t really have ANY idea about what the book world is screeching about currently, by using some generally known facts about screaming, BUT SERIOUSLY. someone needs to keep me in the loop, guys!! WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T OBSESSIVELY STALK GOODREADS AND SCROLL THROUGH BOOKSTAGRAM??? Your life ends. (More like you end up with random messes of screams and DUMBNESS in your ‘news’ section, BUT SHHH. Being dramatic is our area of expertise. You mustn’t complain. OBVIOUSLY MATTERS DIFFER IF YOU PLAN ON BEING KICKED OUT so there’s that)
- Maggie Stiefvater’s newest novel, Bravely (YES SECRET BRAVE RETELLING, OLIVES OF MINE) is coming out on the third of may AND MAYBE I DIED?
- The release date of Cassandra Clare’s Chain of Thorns has been pushed to January 2023… so maybe i should get to ALL THE BOOKS by then??
- The heartstopper books have been adapted into a tv series, and considering how we’re supossed to be imagining its still may the first, I haven’t watched it yet, BUT DANG IT I LOVE TARA AND DARCY TOO MUCH FOR IT TO BE OKAY.
- there, I’ve made Nick PROUD
- OH AND THE PERCY JACKSON ACTOR WAS ANNOUNCED AND CAN. WE. SCREAM??? EVERYTHING LOOKS A LOT LIKE PERFECTION. I AM HAPPY. (And I know the annabeth and grover casting wasn’t announced in april BUT RESTRAINT IS A WEIRD THING AND WE DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER. SO WE MUST MENTION. THE DIVERSITY! THE PERFECTION! THE WAY I LOVE THEM ALL ALREADY. THE WAY SOMETHING WENT IN MY EYE WHEN I READ THE NEWS AND THEY WATERED A LITTLE. IT WAS NICE)
- Me and wordpress are fighting a duel. I mean its nice how I get to practice sword-fighting like that PLUS IT’S ALSO AN AMAZING ANGER-COPING-MECHANISM. But wordpress is… EVIL. And I hate how it stole that from me. EVILNESS IS MINE OK?? THE READER REFUSES TO SHOW ANY OF MY RECENT POSTS AND ALL MY COMMENTS ON EVERYONE’S POSTS ARE GOING INTO SPAM AND MY LIFE HAS TURNED MESSY LIKE THAT. I mean, its not like I threaten people or anything right?? I’m kind and nice. WHAT?? Why do you look at me like that?? I am. On fridays and wednesdays 2pm to 4 pm, I put down all my swords and smile. I’m evil all the rest of the week… BUT FRIDAYS AND WEDNESDAYS, GUYS!!!
- Also I came back from India. Which is slightly INCREDIBLY SAD. India was amazing AND I BEFRIENDED DOGS (and they turned out to be much better than cats?? THEY DIDN’T RUN AWAY WHEN I GAVE THEM MILK OKAY) I didn’t get to name one, but shhhh, THERE’S STILL HOPE. ALSO CROWS!! And SO MANY other things like books and how my family went to a bookstore without me AND I SHALL BE FOREVER MAD ABOUT THAT. WHO FORGETS THEIR LOCAL BOOKWORM WHILST ENTERING A BOOKSTORE GUYS??? I am officially changing families.
- Oh and I ate myself sick with kaccha mango bites. THEY ARE CANDY HEAVEN. It is my newest dream to live in a house made of them. THE HANSEL AND GRETEL WITCH WAS SO LUCKY LIKE THAT. #jealousy
- I RETURNED TO MY HOBBY OF RANSACKING THE LIBRARY AGAIN! I don’t remember if this was in april or may BECAUSE MEMORY WORKS TERRIBLY LIKE THAT but I went to the library AND SCREAMED A LITTLE. And also borrowed all the books!! DID I MENTION I GOT A CURSE SO DARK AND LONELY AND ALSO DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE!! And also american panda (which I deliciously FELL IN LOVE WITH) and the strange and beautiful sorrows of ava lavender (which ended up being HUGELY DISAPPOINTING, but it’s fine. I’LL BE OKAY) AND THE SCORPIO RACES WHICH I STILL NEED TO READ!! #YES
- AND I DISCOVERED DELICIOUSNESS KNOWN AS WAFFLES. It’s actually surprising how I’ve never eaten them till now?? BUT ANYWAY. I adventured the supermarket AND THEN FOUND SOME AND ALSO BOUGHT CARAMEL SAUCE AND ATE THEM AND THEY WERE HEAVENLY. I probably need to thank the boy who steals houses FOR THIS WAFFLE-MAKING EXPEDITION because the waffles in it sounded so good and I kind of needed that type of amazingness in my life. (THUS ALSO THE CARAMEL SAUCE. because #LOYALTY) I like this world.
Anoushka: *eats waffle*
Anoushka: okay maybe waffles are a little overra-
Anoushka: WHAT IS THIS
Anoushka: WHAT IS THIS DELICIOUSNESS
Anoushka: NO ONE TOUCH THE WAFFLES IF YOU VALUE LIFE
Anoushka: *kidnaps all waffles*
- I HAVE DISCOVERED NEW OBSESSIONS TO FLAIL OVER. Such as GILMORE GIRLS. Honestly I wish to ADOPT THE CHARACTERS because i love them all TOO MUCH. ALSO I have finally found someone WHO SHARES MY FASCINATION OF THE OOMPA-LOOMPAS AND AM FEELING DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY ABOUT THAT. This is what we call LOYALTY, guys. AND DID I MENTION THE DIALOGUE IS HILARIOUS AND EVERYTHING IS VERY MUCH SIMILAR TO PERFECTION OK??
- Apparently all my dragons flew away?? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I LEAVE THEM UNSUPERVISED FOR A MONTH??? WHAT IS THIS LIFE??? I came home and had to face this new reality and it was sad and painfully awkward BECAUSE THEY WERE SUPOSSED TO BE SECRET?? But then I started searching under beds and EVEN VENTURED TO GO INTO THE GREAT OUTDOORS which made everyone question my existence. #EVILNESS. My dragons were bad. BUT ALSO I miss them.
- I CAME UP WITH NEW NOVEL IDEAS AND AM DELIRIOUSLY EXCITED. Like I’ve missed writing OK?? I mostly hadn’t touched words since NaNoWriMo last November and was seriously starting to panic my writer was BROKEN. But lately IDEAS HAVE BEEN EXPLODING, PAPERS HAVE BEEN FLYING, AND I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO WALK AROUND THE HOUSE LIKE A ZOMBIE AT 3 IN THE NIGHT IN SEARCH OF WATER AND WHITE PAPER. It’s really, really, really NICE. Except when I fall asleep in class because APPARENTLY SLEEP IS NEEDED IN ORDER TO FUNCTION??? WHY DID NO ONE EVER BOTHER MENTIONING THIS TO ME??
- EVERYTHING IN SAID IDEAS IS HAUNTED. Because apparently I am newly obsessed with ghosts and DARKNESS and the like?? I HAVE SO MANY NEW NAME-LESS GHOST FRIENDS, THE REAL WORLD DOESN’T EVEN NEED TO EXIST ANYMORE??? BUT IT DOES???
- I’ve mostly been living off of watermelon and raw mangoes and #NOREGRETS. Maybe I’ve finally managed to discover the meaning of life?? DEFINITELY SEEMS LIKE IT. We’ve also been creating plans of world domination and abduction of mango trees and practicing evil cackling together. FUN TIMES. The mangoes have been most supportive. I LIKE.
Favorite things that happened in April?? Any angry-looking runaway dragons you may have come across? OH AND I DEMAND THOUGHTS ON WAFFLES PLEASE! Stuff you are INSANELY-OBSESSED-WITH-TO-THE-POINT-YOU-SHALL-MURDER-WHOEVER-DARES-DISAGREE-WITH-YOUR-OBVIOUSLY-SUPERIOR-OPINIONS??? DO YOU LIKE OLIVES??? And also what are your most anticipated May releases (I AM PRETTY SURE MY TBR IS TOO SHORT RIGHT NOW ANYWAY SO I’D LOVE MORE RECS!!)??