In a very unexpected turn of events, January ended up being pretty amazing.
I mean what do you call:
- Getting back into Fantasy and devouring them ALL
- FINDING A NEW FAVORITE AND SCREAMING ABOUT IT (we’re talking about the raven boys, if you had not guessed that already)
- It rained here after 2736728292910* years of no rain (EXCITEMENT)
- Reaching 300 followers on bookstagram
- Not having to go to school because IT WAS ALL ONLINE
- Getting obsessed with the raven boys and GANSEY
- EATING SO MUCH CAKE
- Drowning in gorgeously written books
- AND DID I MENTION THE RAVEN BOYS??
SEE? I WAS A LUCKY OLIVE. Unfortunately, February DOES NOT seem to be treating me half as kindly, which is sad.**
*two years. that means two years
**okay, i do realize that we are only two days into February but most of those things just went down the drain. namely, OFFLINE SCHOOL IS STARTING AND…. excuse me while i drown in tears
Despite the fact that i read…. i read…. only…… 4 books this month, IT WAS STILL GOOD OKAY. Mostly because: 1) I ABSOLUTELY LOVED MOST OF THE BOOKS THAT I READ and 2) i started reading so many books all at the same time (because CONFUSION, my old friend, hello!) and now I’m almost done with so many of them BUT NOT COMPLETELY DONE 3) I also read a good deal of webtoons, but they haven’t been included here. 4) WHAT ELSE COULD I CALL IT IF RAVEN BOYS WAS THERE TOO, HMM??
We call it #Winning*
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater ★★★★★ [5⭐] – The writing IS THIS OTHERWORLDLY KIND OF GORGEOUSNESS THAT BASICALLY SUCKS IN YOUR SOUL and all the characters – I AM READY TO DEFEND THEM WITH MY LIFE. AND IT’S ALL JUST SO MAGICAL! I!! LOVE!!!
Heartstopper Volume I by Alice Oseman ★★★★☆ [4⭐] – I can completely see why people are in the habit of screaming about this so much! AND I AM GLADLY JOINING IN THANK YOU!
Heartstopper Volume II by Alice Oseman ★★★★☆ [4⭐] – All the characters are precious little olives that we need to forever protect *glares*
The Half-Orphan’s Handbook by Joan F. Smith ★☆☆☆☆ [1.5⭐] – The characters were annoying, the writing was eh, the story bored me, and it does not help that i went in with insanely high expectations. DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE FINEST LEVEL (but like, there were some mentions of CHOCOLATE, which saved it a little)
* #Winning in basically everything other than the goodreads challenges, but SHHHH we do not talk about that
- The Percy Jackson adaptation! – If you have a reputation of being a potato and not knowing what we’re talking about, I SUGGEST YOU READ THIS ARTICLE OVER HERE and THEN come back so we can continue screaming BUT BASICALLY I?? AM?? SO??? EXCITED??? Hopes are obviously at the LEVEL OF SKY-TOUCHING HEIGHT because HELLO those movies did such injustice AND IT IS TIME THAT PJO IS GIVEN THE PROPER JUSTICE THAT IT DESERVES. Plus Rick Riordan is also working on the script SO THERE’S HOPE and I am living on it, as should you
- THE COVER FOR MILLION TO ONE WAS RELEASED AND WELL, I may have died of excitement. ALSO THERE’S A HEIST YOU GUYS!! HEIST. ON. THE. TITANIC. *conveniently proceeds to die all over again. MY APOLOGIES* Everything looks so good, LIKE I CANNOT WAIT OKAY
This is actually the first year that I AM KEEPING TRACK OF NEW RELEASES! I mean I’m doing a shitty job of KEPPING TRACK as in arranging them on spreadsheets/ a goodreads shelf and such, BUT I REMEMBER THE DATES OF ONES I’M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO AND ALSO HOPING TO READ SOME OF THEM! AND ITS EXCITING!
These Deadly Games by Diana Urban [February 1st 2022] – Despite all my claims to the contrary, I am merely human. So it is not me who you blame when I see the words “When she’s not torturing fictional characters” in the author’s bio and add all of said authors books to my TBR LIKE MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Plus the synopsis of this sounds VERY MUCH like it will contain some serious character-torturing and what can I say? I LOVE BRINGING MY SOUL ALONG FOR THE TORTUROUS JOURNEY SOMETIMES. Also, Kaya’s review!
Ophelia Ever After by Racquel Marie [February 8th 2022] – I would be COMPLETELY LYING if I didn’t say it was Gauri @ A book and Chai’s amazing review that got this book onto my TBR. THE ENTIRE CONCEPT JUST SOUNDS SO AMAZING + the cover and title also give of MAJOR middle grade vibes?? BUT IT’S A YA GUYS
The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea by Axie Oh [February 22nd 2022] – I am a simple girl. When I see a MINDBLOWINGLY-GORGEOUS cover on goodreads AND PEOPLE SCREAMING ABOUT IT ALL AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE, I get excited okay?!
Only A Monster by Vanessa Len [February 22nd 2022] – I admit, the synopsis was nowhere near ‘mind blowing genius’ like the rest of the books on here, BUT EVERYONE IS SCREAMING ABOUT IT ON BOOKSTAGRAM and I have read nothing but raving reviews about it, SO WHY THE HELL WOULD I BE SO DUMB AS TO MISS ANOTHER CHANCE OF EXCITEMENT and possible screaming + fangirling JUST IN CASE I’M LUCKY LIKE THAT
This Woven Kingdom by Tahereh Mafi [February 1st 2022] – It’s just – I HEARD FORBIDDEN ROMANCE AND CAME RUNNING OKAY? DON’T JUDGE.
A Lullaby for Witches by Hester Fox [February 1st 2022] – Horror is definitely NOT something I read very often (or, like, EVER. i like to call it an unsaid agreement between the two of us THAT WE DO NOT WORK WITH EACH OTHER, but its mostly a disguise for darker secrets *laughs evilly*) BUT THE SYNOPSIS SOUNDS SO GOOD??!
League of Liars by Astrid Scholte [February 22nd 2022] – 1) DO YOU SEE THAT COVER?????? 2) the synopsis describes it as a ‘fantasy thriller + dark and twisty mystery’, which in common language, translates to INSANE AMOUNTS OF EXCITEMENT (and possible brain combustion)
You Truly Assumed by Laila Sabreen [February 8th 2022] – This has Muslim rep + THE PROTAGONIST RUNS A BLOG, so what do you think do I exist for?? It would be safe to say that I AM INCREDIBLY EXCITED and also a little scared. Uhh, VERY scared?? BECAUSE HEY, EXPECTATIONS, you know?
- I CREATED SOME NEW GRAPHICS! That you can see in this post if you look CLOSELY. And I think these look much better than the previous ones?? And they also match the theme better because, you know, QUILLS?
- OH AND I GOT APPROVED FOR AN E-ARC OF ‘HOW MAYA GOT FIERCE’ and I am SO EXCITED FOR IT and had never expected to get approved! Because my Netgalley ratio is TERRIBLE, but shhhh. SO YOU CAN COMPLETELY SEE HOW I GET ACCESS ALL THE SCREAMING RIGHTS. I also got approved for the audio-arc of When you get the Chance and I started it yesterday AND WOW IT’S SO GOOD???! Also the narration is TOP TIER and I feel very lucky right now
- I reached 300 followers on bookstagram like i mentioned before, AND I AM HONESTLY SO HAPPY!?! Like, HA, me the inexperienced olive BUT I GUESS PEOPLE ARE REALLY KIND LIKE THAT so here’s all of my gratitude (only because i’m feeling kind SO YOU BETTER TAKE IT FAST since I don’t feel kind too often). No but seriously, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
- I also learnt how to edit photos in December BECAUSE I WAS CLUELESS EARLIER and have been doing that and it’s been FUN!
- Dipped in Ink reached 100 followers! This actually happened sometime in December and since I AM A FORGETFUL OLIVE and never wrote a wrap-up for the month, WE STEAL A SMALL SPACE FROM JANUARY’S. THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU, MY LOYAL OLIVES! I THANK YOU!
- Okay I think I should stop rambling now
One of the worst things that can ever happen to a bookworm is… THE YEAR END. I mean just thinking about all those books on the TBR pile makes us scream in anguish. But here? WE TALK ABOUT THE POSITIVES. The best books of 2021, and Lazlo Strange, and SOME PIE CHARTS! Involves screaming olives!
An announcement post where:
- I scream a bit and thank everyone for the olives
- I ask for some questions before which I also make up a few lies
- I hand out chocolates (for bribing purposes obviously) and scream about the Raven Boys
- I cry a little over my non-existent schedule and imagine living in a fantasy world
This post features: 1) a very special bookworm 2) the many differences between soup and cereal. Basically me and my amazing friend Rachel from A Bookworm’s Paradise do the know your buddy tag together and answer questions regarding cereal and soup. BUT THERE’S OTHER STUFF TOO OBVIOUSLY!
- Charlotte writes a post on some of their most anticipated releases of the year and just know that if my TBR ends up murdering me, you will be the one I shall blame, Charlotte. BUT IT FEATURES SOME AMAZING BOOKS AND TALK OF DREAMERS SO I HIGHLY SUGGEST ALL OF YOU HEAD OVER.
- Aarushi talks about the books that got her into reading WHICH ARE ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITE TYPES OF POSTS EVER and also manages to lengthen my TBR by a mile and a half, as is her habit.
- Ash talks about ALL THE 758934 AMAZING BOOKS BEING RELEASED THIS YEAR THAT THEY’RE EXCITED FOR and well, my TBR suffers. There’s also A LOT of talk of India-based Fantasy books SO THAT GOT ME EXCITED
- Naemi writes a post on bookish details she got wrong as a kid AND IT’S HILARIOUS AND RELATABLE AND I LOVE!!
- Shruvi talks about their dream library AND OMG IT’S SO GOOD, and like there’s also a cake shop next door, WHICH MAKES EVERYTHING 2726281190 TIMES BETTER.
- Khyati gives us all some amazing Fantasy recs (for beginners, BUT HEY I take all the fantasy I find okay, and you should too) and THERE’S ALSO A LOT OF RICK RIORDAN SUPREMACY (WHICH WE ALL LIVE FOR)
- Rachel guesses the zodiac signs of her favorite characters AND HAS ME FEELING JEALOUS OF ALL HER POST IDEAS LIKE ALWAYS.
- Nehal writes a post on 25 Harry Potter facts about herself AND TEACHES ME HOW DEMUMBRIDGE IS THE BEST SHIP IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD! I thank you Nehal!
- Rania reviews Portrait of a Thief and gets me very excited! Plus, all the quotes sound AMAZING!!
- Anushka writes a poem – The Endless Sarcophagus, and leaves me speechless BECAUSE ALL OF HER POEMS ARE SO GOOD, I’M IN AWE and on the verge of believing she’s a magician. ARE YOU?
- Riddhi celebrates 1000 followers AND THROWS A BLOG PARTY with TONS of butterbeer that I have successfully stolen (#SorryNotSorry) CONGRATULATIONS!!!
- Ritz writes a detailed and SO WELL-THOUGHT OUT discussion on Banned Books!
- Suhani recommends us all books based on our zodiac signs because she’s really kind like that and loves to lengthen our TBRs!
- Sophie talks about her favorite tv shows + movies of 2021 AND GIVES US ALL SOME AMAZING RECOMMENDATIONS!
- Krisha’s reacts to some shower thoughts AND THE ENTIRE POST HAD ME CRACKING UP!
My life is basically top secret because I am a government agent in disguise who investigates ALIEN EXISTENCE so I kind of HAVE THE BEST JOB ON THE PLANET and we’re forbidden from talking about it BECAUSE WE CAN’T HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE FEELING JEALOUS HERE, now can we? Juuuuust kidding! (PROBABLY)
ANYWAY, this is again a random jumble of the olive’s thoughts on life at the moment because LIFE IS CONFUSING and forming proper thoughts based on it is even more confusing AND WE ARE ONIONS who do not do confusing stuff. The un-confusing list:
- Most of January has just been me crying over how cruel the world is for cancelling the second season of JATP BECAUSE THAT WAS EVIL. It’s been such a huge part of the past year for me, and I LIVE FOR IT and ALSO THAT CLIFFHANGER. I’ve never been as obsessed with any tv show before as I am with JATP and THESE CHARACTERS. AND MY HEART. AND JULIE AND LUKE. And I also desperately wanted to listen to Crooked Teeth. AND NOW NONE OF THAT IS EVER HAPPENING.
- Everyone has been telling me ALL the Heroes of Olympus spoilers, and HEY NOW I REMEMBER WHY I HATE PEOPLE SO MUCH
- No, but seriously, I am VERY angry
- Talking about happier stuff, I WATCHED ENCANTO (mostly because of Kaya’s review, SO I THANK YOU!) AND WOW, I screamed a little. The songs + the family aspect of it AND EVERYTHING ELSE TOO – I LOVED!
- I then proceeded to realize how much I missed Disney movies and there MIGHT have been a small amount of sobbing involved, BUT POINT IS, that led to me rewatching Zootopia and REMEMBERING MY OBSESSION WITH RABBITS AGAIN + ALL MY FAVORITE SCENES (!!!) namely Nick petting the lamb’s fluffy hair BECAUSE I LOVE THAT
- Did I ever mention how going to gardens gives me all this new post idea inspiration but since I do not have a paper and pen handy at that time I ALSO FORGET IT ALL LATER. And I’ve been trying to figure out if not getting inspiration in parks or getting inspiration and then forgetting it is better?? THE ONLY PROGRESS I’VE MADE SO FAR IS HAVING MAJOR EXISTENTIAL CRISES EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT IT
- I have been COMPLETELY abandoning my WIP lately BECAUSE NO TIME and no promises are being made for the upcoming month BECAUSE FINALS but…. I had planned on doing a NaNoWriMo recap…. umm, 2 MONTHS AGO, but obviously that never happened. SO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE ONE 2 MONTHS LATE? As in, sometime in February?
- Yes, my olive, I KNOW how you’re dying for the part where I talk about the rain. SO HERE IT IS. I live in a desert (now don’t go imagining sandy areas with nothing in sight and me travelling on a camel the way I know you’re imagining, THAT IS NOT HOW IT LOOKS) BUT IT RAINED ON THE LAST DAY OF 2021 and what better way to end the year, am I right? SO I RAN AWAY AND PLAYED IN THE RAIN AND GOT DRENCHED AND BECAME A 5 YEAR OLD AND JUMPED IN ALL THE PUDDLES AND IT WAS FUN. THEN I ALSO ATE CAKE. We call it heaven.
- Catch up on all the comment replies (WOW I panic so much whenever i think of this)
- Read all the ARCs
- Post ATLEAST 8 times or the dragon will come to haunt your dreams
- Read 8 books BECAUSE BOOKS ARE NICE
- Reviews needed ON TIME
- Try not to procrastinate BECAUSE THAT IS BAD
- Follow schedule on Bookstagram AND ALSO COMMENT REPLIES
- Mark all the reading stats SO AS NOT TO CRY AT THE YEAR END
- Finish the Raven Boys series BECAUSE GANSEY
How was your first month of the year?? ANYONE ELSE CRYING OVER JATP??? Favorite books of the month ALSO TELL ME YOUR FIRST READ OF 2022? What are some of your most anticipated releases of February? THOUGHTS WANTED ON THE PJO ADAPTATION NEWS!
Someone tell me WHY this post is 2.5K+ words?? I THINK THE KEYBOARD WAS MISFUNCTIONING A LITTLE. It’s definitely NOT because I just like to ramble a lot. HA, no, I’m a good olive, okay?